Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a French's mustard plant here in Springfield. I bought some surplus barrels from them. Popped the bung on the first one and almost got knocked down by the smell. Read the label, and it was white wine for the fancy Dijon mustard. Might have smelled pretty good before it sat in the sun for 3 or 4 months.
sickbyc.gif

They cleaned out just fine, though.

I am sure there is a better system Sue, but I have a note book in the coop and I am presently trying my hand at an excel spread sheet. I need some help with programing since my knowledge of computers and programs is next to nil. I do not have enough birds to worry about it at the moment. But after I am certified (NPIP) that needs to change. They have spread sheets you can copy on the websites that you use for testing. I am trying to make an excel sheet that uses something like that.
Delisha,

I am great with programs. Cheapest to use is probably Google Docs. It's right there and saves automatically. I like it. However, I keep track of most stuff on an actual financial program. It's quicker in my opinion than a spread sheet. You have different accounts for different expenses. You don't have to keep tabbing over until you find the right column. You enter your expense number and post it. The program breaks down everything else for you and gives you profit margins without formatting.

Fred, I do the same, but with Simply Accounting.

As an accountant, Quickbooks is not my favourite. You need to break everything down into certain categories. You are doing a great job by reading how you keep track. Keep it up!

How many years did it take you to break even, or to make a small profit?
Three years, I guess. My wife has her degree in math and does the accounting and taxes at the end of the year. I never question the woman who is both your accountant and who sleeps with you.

Profits are slim on any kind of Ag endeavor. Slim. You've got to keep close tabs and close watch. Nothing is a cash cow, it's all slim margins.

Three years, I guess. My wife has her degree in math and does the accounting and taxes at the end of the year. I never question the woman who is both your accountant and who sleeps with you.

Profits are slim on any kind of Ag endeavor. Slim. You've got to keep close tabs and close watch. Nothing is a cash cow, it's all slim margins.
I just want to break even Fred. That's it. I highly enjoy breeding, and will continue to do so.

I'm already saving a bundle just by starting to ferment my feed. 100 lbs a week in savings.

I have had a computer since the old Sinclairs. But you know what? I still prefer to hand write some things. For instance my hatch dates are on calendars. And I manually carry over the ages every month LOL. So I can look up and say Oh, Sugar is 18 month old or some such. I know a computer program will do that automatically and faster but I just prefer paper.

I did make a spreadsheet with my flock's info on it. And it's just sort of there. Never really kept it up. Spreadsheets for that sort of thing are very easy to create.

I learned a long time ago that trying to dispel or debunk all the stuff popularly (wrongly) held is tilting at windmills, pretty much. I just go about my business. You can only help those who wish to learn. Besides, I am so busy trying to learn the stuff I want to learn and I'm grateful for those who are patient with me. Folks do grow, they do expand their horizons, but some never will. So be it.
I'm not gonna make my mission in life to "save all the sinners".
lau.gif

Some get things if you speak softly. Some get things if you serve it up with some gentle humor. With some? It'll never sink in, or at least now right away, so there's not a lot of benefit in just ticking them off. Geeeeesh, that happens even when you're gentle and cautious.

Now, Al, let's talk about those leg bands. In 60 years, I've never been in a place where I needed them. But, that day has arrived. I don't know squat about them, where to buy, what to buy, how to use, blah blah blah. Zip.

I really need to keep Fluffy, Frizzy and Huggy distinguished. Care to help me out here, Bro?
Fred ,

Ignorant you can fix. You can't fix stupid.

I have had a computer since the old Sinclairs. But you know what? I still prefer to hand write some things. For instance my hatch dates are on calendars. And I manually carry over the ages every month LOL. So I can look up and say Oh, Sugar is 18 month old or some such. I know a computer program will do that automatically and faster but I just prefer paper.
I did make a spreadsheet with my flock's info on it. And it's just sort of there. Never really kept it up. Spreadsheets for that sort of thing are very easy to create.
You're old schooling it!
big_smile.png
Nothin' wrong with that.

I have an apple computer and keeping track of ages is so easy. Hard to keep track of papers at home. I have a fiance that likes to throw out papers (or burn them).

Thanks for the idea! Been looking at Laundry cotton mesh bags, still not coming up with anything I would want to use yet.............
Wal-Mart has lingerie bags with zippers.... I love the thicker suet feeders to hatch as I hatch in egg cartons. Special eggs go in those to hatch , and the chicks are toe punched. Fat suet feeders are at TSC and Wal-Mart.

Last edited:
Jim of HallFamilyFarms uses dishwasher baskets. They hold if I remember right about.. 4 eggs? maybe 6? Those mesh ones look cheaper and hold more too though.

They have to be flexable & stretch and afford room for the eggs to hatch and the chicks to move around for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom