Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The toe punch chart shows 16 ways to mark the birds. What if you have more than 16 different combinations?

I would like to single mate, if possible. I have never toe punched. I have been keeping records for several years and using leg bands. With my primary breed, I have used two roosters each year -so far, so I have two family groups. I know the sire of every one of my birds. With the hens, I only know which family group they belong to.

This year, I kept more cockerels. I'll be using 4 with one breed. I haven't decided which hens will be paired with each rooster yet, but there are up to 14 possible hens.

Thank you in advance.

The beauty of the whole toe punch thing is it can be whatever you want it to be, make your own matrics, do as you please in a way that suits you and the way you can best track and understand it. The mathimatics of it are almost an endless possibility of combinations.

Think of it like 16x16 I don't think one could even imagine going that far, there will come a point when you have to improvise but I can't see anybody depleting the combinations seriously.

The toe punch chart shows 16 ways to mark the birds. What if you have more than 16 different combinations?

I would like to single mate, if possible. I have never toe punched. I have been keeping records for several years and using leg bands. With my primary breed, I have used two roosters each year -so far, so I have two family groups. I know the sire of every one of my birds. With the hens, I only know which family group they belong to.

This year, I kept more cockerels. I'll be using 4 with one breed. I haven't decided which hens will be paired with each rooster yet, but there are up to 14 possible hens.

Thank you in advance.
Will toe punching get points deducted if you show your birds?

No it won't it is totaly acceptable. I have shown toe punched birds for a long time. But you still must have them banded to show and even to enter.

Last edited:
In the US we aren't required to Vaccinate to show just have your birds NPIP certified. and any documents needed to transport livestock over state lines, if needed.

In the US we aren't required to Vaccinate to show just have your birds NPIP certified. and any documents needed to transport livestock over state lines, if needed.
It's only 1 eyedrop vaccine (for ILT). No testing required.

It requires very little effort to register birds for show here.

Fill out and done. They don't even ask for your band number, though judges check to ensure they are banded, though they don't check if it's current (wish they would).

It's only 1 eyedrop vaccine (for ILT). No testing required.

It requires very little effort to register birds for show here.

Fill out and done. They don't even ask for your band number, though judges check to ensure they are banded, though they don't check if it's current (wish they would).
aoxa, do you show your birds?, if so which breeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom