Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep my chicks in the brooders in the house until they start hopping up on the edge, around 3 weeks. Its then time to go outside!

I free range most of my birds. I have 2 breeder pens set up with birds that Im hatching eggs from, for replacements. I will keep them in there until I have hatched what I need. I will lose a few to free ranging now and again, usually from hawks. So I dont free range anything that I dont have a replacement for. I dont lose many, since I have a good sized crow population here that harass the hawks and eagles. I make sure and put a few eggs out each day for the crows, to keep them close by.

My coop is a little small for all the birds I have. When they all pile in for the night, its standing room only in there. But the door opens at 6am, so they arent in there very long, just long enough to sleep safely. They are all outside for the duration of the day, free ranging, until dark, when they all come back and pile in again.

I process excess roosters for my puppies. I like to butcher them about half size, easy enough for me to kill, skin, and gut, and the perfect size for my puppies. Quarters for each of the youngsters, and my old man gets the breast with the softer ribs. He hasnt got many teeth left, so I have to be careful to give him soft bones.

A relatively new phenomenon with chickens seems to be selling eggs and chickens, if not show quality, then they are "pet quality". Pet quality?? These arent pomeranians, they are chickens. If they arent show birds, they are flock birds, production birds, dinner. Not to say you cant make a pet out of them if you want, its great people have them for pets. But there is no such thing as a "pet quality" chicken (unless they are silkies, which are some wierd subspecies).

I want an autographed copy, would that Bee possible ??.

Sure would!
big_smile.png

Halo, I agree! I think that is an advertising gimmick much like "designer breeds" of just plain MUTT dogs. Now, I love a mutt just like the rest of the populace....all my dogs have been mutts and many of my chickens were the same. That being said, I agree....a chicken is either show quality or just a bird that lays eggs, produces a meaty carcass quickly or a worthless feather duster. Pet quality?
tongue.gif

I also would like to know where in the heck and who the heck did come up with the term "Pet Quality" and where do you find or get these Pet Quality birds, or are they just plain Ole mutt chickens whith a new sense of style. I have heard rumblings of a term now called Designer chickens, are these just wierd Foo-Foo culls with top knots and really bad coloring and markings or what. I do however things have gotten a bit out of hand in this particular cult chicken section of what used to be just good ole honest chicken folks.

Chickens have become the new little dog in the purse. It's a new pet craze and will soon go the way of the pot-bellied pig, the mini horse and the alpaca. Committed chicken owners will still be raising them 20 years from now and the pet owners will be selling their expensive coops and equipment on Ebay. Given time, the universe usually will right itself....
big_smile.png

Quote:
Hey now ,I love my silkies
smile.png
I have my layers for eggs ,roosters for dinner but my silkies are my hobby .I really enjoy having them and raising them.I am raising them for showing BUT I know what you are saying
smile.png
no hurt feelings here.There is a big difference in the way a show silkie looks and one that is a plain silkie from a hatchery or PQ .Is not a pomeranian just a dog at the end of the day? Same difference.
I do get what you are saying though and I think that was a big reason why I was so disappointed in some of my layers.It seems that the closer the birds are bred to the standards of people the less they lay and at the end of that day you want to just cull the whole flock
somad.gif
.. Hatchery birds are just fine in my book when it comes to wanting a laying flock you can count on.

Ooohhh....NOW you've done it! You've poked AL with a stick and you are going to get the breeders vs. hatchery stock speech..... I'm gonna sit this one out and watch...
pop.gif

Quote:
Yea,some actress has a silkie that she carries around with her ,people go overboard when they see an actor doing something silly and they have to jump right in like it's the greatest thing in the world.It will be a cold day in #### when I let a chicken in my purse much less sleep in my bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom