Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Crockpot.

X2 Nasty roosters are always nasty roosters in my opinion! They taste wonderful!!!!

Quote:
Or check their teeth.

lol.png
While yer in there pullin' 'em, you might as well....

DE...bought some, never used it.

spurs are a good way to tell a rooster age up to a year after that, i couldn't tell their age.

Last edited:
Just found this thread; i'm a newbie to OUTDOOR birds. (2 years) I'm kinda riding the fence between old and new ways to do stuff. Sorry a few of mine are definitly spoiled and hop into my lap every chance they get.... Question: do the oldtimers cull for resperitory illness, if it's not severe? Mine might have CRD; I've had the birds in question 2 winters already, and except during the first bit of cold weather they don't show symptoms. Very perky, vibrant. Am i correct in assuming that although they will be carriers their chicks might also inherit an immunity towards it? My chickens are housed in a wooded area that has lots of wild birds/turkeys, and I don't want to have to worry about sickness all the time. "what don't kill you makes you stronger"???

I bought them this way and did use the ACV a good part of last winter

Last edited:
Just read every post on this thread.... even when my eyes glazed. Therefore, even though I have only raised chickens for 1 1/2 years (2nd winter), I now feel I have a PHD in chickenry direct from BYCU. I suppose y'all could call that sentence right there a BS in BS.....

Anyhow.... I have a few questions. I too consider myself a pragmatist meaning I look at all my animals except my girlfriends mutts as having to earn their keep.

I have a house in a valley. With this years rain, the runoff makes it a swamp. I plan to rent a backhoe next year and create a creek to divert runoff. However, My coop, a 11 x 16 repurposed garage which I moved in pieces from a rental house, has no floor. I debated laying wood or tin down so the runoff would run under it, but opted for straw. 1/2 bale keeps it dry for a week. I am hoping as it gets cold, that it will stay dry longer. Comments?

I also slapped a slant roof on it but there is at least a foot of open space all the way around. Would you consider this ventilation or draft? I have 3 sides of windows for summer, but now they are boarded up (hinged so I can open them).

I have 50 plus birds that free range. How do you tell if they are laying or not? I caged 4 that only had 2 fingers space or less and the next morning I found 1 egg. 1 hen escaped when I opened cage to feed, and 3 more days no eggs equaled 3 processed chickens. Upon eviscerating, I found 3 egg like masses bright yellow 3 different sizes, no shell.... I assume developing eggs (never seen anything like this in fish that I have cleaned). The reason I have thinned the flock is because they stopped laying in July. went from 2 dozen eggs per day to 4 eggs. Course the day I butchered and since.... 7-9 eggs per day. Maybe it was a 5 1/2 month moult.

I have chicks in the basement. Hate it. I turned chicks out at 3 weeks old and it was fine. Last batch temps were in the 30's started losing 1 per day. I have 20 4 week olds and 16 1 week old in the basement. 8 weekers are fine. With temps in the teens and 20's at night, is a 500 watt work light bulb ok? It wasn't in the 30's with the others unless they were just weak.

How old does a rooster stay fertile? I have the eldest (Estimated to be 3-4 years old) He is the big Dog. I call him Captain.... Yes I named him but I will be the one to cut his head off when the time comes. I have 3 others and possibly more with the youngsters coming up. I already have several bald hens. Which should I keep?

I BOW to your superior knowledge Oh Gruff Wise Ones..... Hmmm instead of OT's y'all could be OGWO's.... nice sound to that
wink.png

Quote:
For contagious respiratory illness, yes, yes, yes, cull always. That is always serious. I'd make no exceptions because they remain carriers, though we've never had it here because we do try to take precautions against it happening in the first place. Chicks will not inherit immunity-they may actually inherit the illness, and in the case of CRD, it's entirely possible for that to happen. Some diseases are passed vertically (through the egg to chick), some are not. Unless you know what is it and know for sure if it's a carrier type disease, my only advice is to cull, period.

Birds can get pneumonia and fungal respiratory illness, neither of which is contagious bird to bird, but unless you are reasonably certain that is what you are dealing with by the symptoms and the circumstance which precipitated it, cull. If you don't, you set up a cycle of disease you can't ever get out of the flock.

"what don't kill you makes you stronger"???

No, not in this case. In fact, it weakens the bird and the flock in general. It is never good husbandry to treat contagious carrier type respiratory illness in your flock.​

Quote:
For contagious respiratory illness, yes, yes, yes, cull always. That is always serious. I'd make no exceptions because they remain carriers, though we've never had it here because we do try to take precautions against it happening in the first place. Chicks will not inherit immunity-they may actually inherit the illness, and in the case of CRD, it's entirely possible for that to happen. Some diseases are passed vertically (through the egg to chick), some are not. Unless you know what is it and know for sure if it's a carrier type disease, my only advice is to cull, period.

Birds can get pneumonia and fungal respiratory illness, neither of which is contagious bird to bird, but unless you are reasonably certain that is what you are dealing with by the symptoms and the circumstance which precipitated it, cull. If you don't, you set up a cycle of disease you can't ever get out of the flock.

"what don't kill you makes you stronger"???

No, not in this case. In fact, it weakens the bird and the flock in general. It is never good husbandry to treat contagious carrier type respiratory illness in your flock.​

My heroine!! Love this ladies' posts, always have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom