Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Hubby built one out of a washing machine drum, awesome machine...................

Love this thread by the way!!!!!

I want to see pictures! Just saw one, but getting a pic in minds eye of that device removing feathers isn't working.

I love this thread - especially the posts by wyododge about mixed gardening and bacteria and dirt.

(Works on kids too. Mine didn't need ear tubes and tons of antibiotics, they got out and got dirty, regularly, helping me with the garden. My sister was horrified, and her kids lived on antibiotics and surgeries, but they were clean.)

Quote:
I have not heard of one that is used dry. I like that idea better. Can you post or PM a pic of yours please? Thanks

This model is basically the same as drill type for ducks, wild game, etc. and by dry I mean we do not dip in hot water and after washing the blood off (they are damp) we simply pluck them with no problems. Lots less messy, smells better, and still gets the job done including most pin feathers. Wear an apron
big_smile.png

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd219/southerndesert/Chickens/2011-12-13_07-43-43_420.jpg

I have seen these,, they are OK for doing small amounts of birds. we process hundreds of ducks, chickens , geese and turkeys each year..

as far as messy, the ones I build can be used inside a garage.. granted, you will need drainage for the water.. but the feathers are collected in a bin and there are none flying around loose..

and yes, these do cost a bit of money to build.. however they should last at least 40 years.. my oldest plucker is over 60 years old and still going.. I had to replace a motor on it last year..

beekissed wrote: ....isn't it funny how medical advice seems to waver from fats are bad, now fats are good, salt is bad, now salt is good, etc.?

It almost makes you believe in conspiracy theory, doesn't it?

I feel best on square, hearty meals of meat, fat, veg, carb, salt. I also believe in the other forgotten food groups of bacteria, bones, dirt, sunshine! These would have been a part of our evolution. I am a Weston A. Price Foundation member and their organization is built on traditional "old-timey" thought. They have a farming elist as well. It may appeal to those who like this thread.

Please beekissed, will you tell us more about your rigorous cull schedule you mentioned? TIA

Renee

Quote:
I have the same theory with kids.
smile.png

x2
clap.gif

X3:D

eta: I got over the dirt thing when my 9mo licked the bottom of my flip flop.
hu.gif

Last edited:
Please beekissed, will you tell us more about your rigorous cull schedule you mentioned? TIA

I just cull for several things at least once a year, after doing the "finger test" for current egg laying. This is done when egg laying should be at it's peak...I keep calendars with each daily egg count carefully marked so I could divine the rhythm of my flock until I pretty much learn it and don't record so much anymore. Every flock is different, depending on their age, abilities, environment, health.

Then I cull for laying, general health appearance, usefulness to the flock(is she older and a sporadic egg layer but still a great broody and mother? If so, I'll support her for a season or so) and feed thriftiness. Birds that are first to the trough and last to the nest are an easy target when it comes to culling time. Career broodies....birds that start out young at going broody and go broody more than 2 times a year~I don't need 'em. One or two good broodies are enough for a flock the size of mine...and only if they limit their broodiness.

I had one White Rock that seemed to go broody JUST when I needed her to do so each and every year. She is still in my original flock...not to mention, when she isn't brooding, she lays every day. She is 5 going on 6 years old.

Then, sometimes, if the hens change during the year and I notice changes that I don't keep in my flock are happening....extensive periods of nonlaying, ratty appearance, etc. Even if this occurs in non-peak months of lay, I'll sometimes do a second culling of the hens. This happens rarely in my flocks...but it does happen. I don't want to support a hen all year long to get her up to my regularly scheduled cull session...can't afford to feed anyone who doesn't work or stay top notch on my regimen.

Sometimes if you see changes in appearance in a formerly good and healthy, but aging, hen this could mean she will start developing reproductive problems or other health problems associated with age. Best just to cull her because age doesn't go away.....much to my own dismay.
roll.png

I left one very old White Leghorn in my flock past the time I should have because she was still laying sporadically and her eggs were huge and mostly double yolkers. She was sort of a favorite of mine, so I skipped her in several cullings. But her laying pattern and the double yolk eggs should have been a warning signal to me that, coupled with her age, she was starting to have reproductive changes.

She was still very healthy in appearance and very active, but when I opened her up she had a huge growth inside of her that was just layers upon layers of cheesy, egg yolk-like material. It filled the whole palm of my hand...which is pretty big for a small Leghorn to be carrying. Probably really inhibited her organ function and was more than likely uncomfortable...but I let my sentiment overrule my good judgement and I ignored the signs of impending health problems.

I can't be assured that she suffered but any bird that size having a growth of that magnitude would have to have had some discomfort....lesson learned. I won't have an animal suffering under my care.​

Quote:
Scott, I don't know about everyone else but I live in a place that doesn't really require such things. My gates have latches of some kind just to keep them closed but they don't really lock and my doors have pieces of wood nailed next to them that you turn when you want to keep the door closed and turn again when you wish to open it.

I use big dogs to protect my chickens, so locks and latches aren't as important for me as for some chicken owners.

I see that I misspoke/typed here, I should have said some kind of latching deivice. Locking with a lock didn't even cross my mind. We also have several large dogs that keep the worst chicken killers away.

Quote:
I agree with all of the above, And had the (fun) to be standing behind a cow when she coughed at the same time she was dropping a cowpie, just had to have my mouth open talking ya-know. Not so funny at that time, is now.

Thanks Scott

Please tell me how you sweeten water? It does sound smart (for humans as well?).
wyododge wrote: 5. The greatest thing about lakes and streams is mother nature has had an opportunity to sweeten the water. You would be well advised to let her do the same to the water your chickens get.

Not for humans. We are so far off the original track God intended, we can no longer deal with much of the bounty God created for us. At least in the US. Although, those in the country, and some in the city are much closer than most. There are many, many reasons a mouth full of fresh cow poo does you good. Mostly it just brings us back down to a level we should be at, looking at gods creations from the proper perspective - right down the poop chute. It forces us to recognize the RESULTS of our actions, and most importantly, provides a bit of humility and possibly grace.

As far as sweetening water, it just happens. One of the many beautiful processes God created. Scrubbing and sterilizing water containers furiously twice a day renders the water meaningless except for hydration, and it is not even very good for that. It goes right through you so to speak, because there is nothing in it. If you dont believe me dehydrate yourself for a couple days, they go to the sink and drink a big glass of 'clean' water. The resulting headache will drive you to near insanity. Now do the same thing but rehydrate with oranges, watermelon, tomatoes etc. No head ache.

There is a tremendous amount of nutritional value in water that has been left to 'sweeten' in the sun, dirt and yes even poo found throughout this great planet. So my advise is to let the water set, let the container get a little dirty. When you have to wash it, use a plain old scrubber to get the big stuff off. If your water is like ours, we get rust stains and calcium deposits, so occasionally I will bring the buckets in and clean them with a bit of dish soap and some vinegar to get the hard deposits off the nipples. My birds generally only drink the water I provide as a last resort anyway, and there is a reason for that.

Our general practice is to NOT fight what god has given us on land, air, water, or in our livestock. It is, and always will be, a losing battle. We choose to embrace it and work within a divine plan that is much to grand for any of us to comprehend, let alone understand. It is less frustrating for us, and certainly allows for livestock to live, grow and produce as they were intended.

<...stepping off my soap box now...>​

Quote:
Not for humans. We are so far off the original track God intended, we can no longer deal with much of the bounty God created for us. At least in the US. Although, those in the country, and some in the city are much closer than most. There are many, many reasons a mouth full of fresh cow poo does you good. Mostly it just brings us back down to a level we should be at, looking at gods creations from the proper perspective - right down the poop chute. It forces us to recognize the RESULTS of our actions, and most importantly, provides a bit of humility and possibly grace.

As far as sweetening water, it just happens. One of the many beautiful processes God created. Scrubbing and sterilizing water containers furiously twice a day renders the water meaningless except for hydration, and it is not even very good for that. It goes right through you so to speak, because there is nothing in it. If you dont believe me dehydrate yourself for a couple days, they go to the sink and drink a big glass of 'clean' water. The resulting headache will drive you to near insanity. Now do the same thing but rehydrate with oranges, watermelon, tomatoes etc. No head ache.

There is a tremendous amount of nutritional value in water that has been left to 'sweeten' in the sun, dirt and yes even poo found throughout this great planet. So my advise is to let the water set, let the container get a little dirty. When you have to wash it, use a plain old scrubber to get the big stuff off. If your water is like ours, we get rust stains and calcium deposits, so occasionally I will bring the buckets in and clean them with a bit of dish soap and some vinegar to get the hard deposits off the nipples. My birds generally only drink the water I provide as a last resort anyway, and there is a reason for that.

Our general practice is to NOT fight what god has given us on land, air, water, or in our livestock. It is, and always will be, a losing battle. We choose to embrace it and work within a divine plan that is much to grand for any of us to comprehend, let alone understand. It is less frustrating for us, and certainly allows for livestock to live, grow and produce as they were intended.

<...stepping off my soap box now...>

woot.gif
Wonderful post!

As I type this, 5 of my hens are having a wonderful dust bath, while my hubby is burning branches. He said it was funny when he had the pile of branches ready to light, poured on a little gas, the girls came a running, as soon as he lit the match & it hit the branches & went WOOSH, they ran the opposite direction.
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

8 eggs today & two trying to decide what the want to do.
gig.gif

As for kids & dirt, my youngest is her happiest when she is sitting in a dirt pile covered in chickens.
gig.gif

My girls have always loved to play in the dirt, mud, sand & chicken poop. Since moving to Texas in mid March, this is the first cough, snuffy nose, sore throat they have gotten. The day my first born came home from the hospital, we put her in her stroller, and we walked to the grocery store & went shopping.
I had a cousin who kept her first born isolated from the world for almost 2 month after she was born, and she was plagued with ear & yeast infections as a baby.

I do miss drinking water from a mountain stream, I remember doing that as a kid, and it was the best tasting water ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom