Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Oh, it is quite valid to fret over the cold spells in Interior Alaska.

Yeah, and in Siberia too.. and in Antarctica..
we hit minus 20F to minus 30F here in Wisconsin.. I know, I know, in Alaska they hit lower than that,,big deal.. I won't get into a pissing contest over it..

There is always an exception to every statement.. I agree, Fretting is just a waste of time.. If you are going to stand around and wring your hands and cry, "woe is me",, then don't have chickens, no matter where you live.. You can have chickens anywhere you live, all you have to do is adapt your cirmucstances..

This is good advice. If you live where the climate is just not suited to chickens and you still want a source of meat, raise meat rabbits. But fretting over your chickens in this climate or that climate is just not worth the stress of having them. I can't imagine why anyone would want to raise chickens in climates so cold that a human has trouble surviving without sucking down walrus blubber....it would be like me trying to nurture a pineapple farm here in the mountains of WV.

I can't imagine why humans want to live where it's that cold either, but I hear from my Michigan relatives that they can't imagine why I want to live in Texas. And the heat here really challenged my barred rocks. I'm concerned whether Americauna's are all that heat adapted - guess I'll find out.

In a drought we don't have much humidity. But my friend lost all of her americaunas this past summer. If it wasn't the heat, perhaps it was something else the heat made worse.

I'm relieved to know they can cope. I do have some shade.

Oh, I don't see a problem with humans living where it's really cold or really hot....everyone has their preferences. But to expect that you can raise small livestock or gardens where the climates are that extreme is asking for headaches~which is also fine but if it's going to cause anxiety for you, I just don't get the point.

Quote:
I'm a fretter, fretting is what I do.
I'm also newbie, and this is my first winter with chickens.
If I'm going to fret *anyway*, I might as well fret about something I love, like the chickens.
And after that first way too early cold spell, which we all seemed to survive, I'm no where near as anxious as I was.
But I'm still gonna fret, cause I'm a fretter!
big_smile.png

Well, then, that seems like a good reason to get chickens if you like to fret. A lot of people like to fret but aren't so good at recognizing that trait in themselves as you are....kudos to you!
big_smile.png

Fretting and then inflicting ones fret upon others, who think your fret is causing you problems~which seems apparent from the urgency of the titles of the posts~ and want to help you fix your problems, is probably the most prevalent subject of posts on this forum. People who really don't want advice for their problems but just merely want validation for the way they are feeling about said problem. They want to hear that it's alright for them to be fretting over things.

It would solve soooo many misunderstandings on this forum if those who love to fret would just be self-actualized enough to know and admit that they merely love to fret and that no intervention is needed at this point...they are just doing what they love.
big_smile.png

I've noticed one thing that tends to repeat as advice here: Watch them.

They'll often tell you exactly what's going on if you just observe. Chicks tell you if they're too hot or cold, hens tell you why the eggs aren't fertile if you watch the process, the flock will tell you who is alpha, which one starts the excessive picking and needs removing, and on and on. Observe. It's amazing to me at times what people do not see. But then I probably don't notice everything either. But I try. I think we all should.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom