Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Seriously? I have a hen sitting on an empty nest right now. Everyday I toss her, none too gently, trying to break her broodiness. I'm considering filling a tub of water so that she can start getting daily dunkings. If I didn't have more eggs than I needed right now I would.

Quote:
I have used Ivermectin on my birds with no ill effects. It is a pour on wormer, meaning you put it on the back of their neck, like Frontline for dogs. I used a needleless syringe to draw up the right dose (1 ml for LF and .5 ml for banties or juviniles) and just went down the roost putting it on the skin on the back of their neck.

I'm sure most have. How many people have used it on Fayoumis? All my other chickens have been fine, ivermectin has always been a go-to wormer for me.
I've been in chickens since long before ivermectin was even available.
smile.png

Quote:
Seriously? I have a hen sitting on an empty nest right now. Everyday I toss her, none too gently, trying to break her broodiness. I'm considering filling a tub of water so that she can start getting daily dunkings. If I didn't have more eggs than I needed right now I would.

Try confining her away from nest site without a nest for a few days to break broodiness.

Does anyone have advice on how to help the chickens deal with extreme heat? I lost 2 to the heat this past summer. We had 100+ temps for several days in a row. They were allowed to free range during the day. One was a year old and the other was 4 to 5 months; both were Buff Orpingtons. I did a couple of things that I thought would help like put ice in their drinking water and a fan under the shade tree they liked to hang out under. I appreciate your wisdom and all I have learned from this forum.

Quote:
Make certain water always available. Ice water does not help as much as ample water. Is the shaded area large enough so ground does not become too hot? Birds dump a lot of heat through feet. Hens laying are particularly vulnerable to heat stress. Buff Orphingtons may be amoung least heat tolerant so breed selection should be reconsidered.

Quote:

I was talking about normal chickens
smile.png

4 true game cocks together in a pen..........lmbo.............not true game rooster, theyve got dunghill bred into them...........the proof is in the pudding.....nuff said.

one way to help fowl cope with heat is to occasionally spray their area with the water hose. wet down their dusting areas. if they are in pens, you can mist them. getting water on their feet will really help cool them down. some areas it helps to trim all the feathers from the vent areas. get it down to bare skin. this really helps them to release heat.

cut back on the corn, particularly whole corn. corn naturally produces heat inside the chicken. whole corn is harder to digest. this causes the digestion system to work harder, which creates heat.
fowl dont need alot of corn anyway.

but truthfully if they are free ranging and have access to shade and water. they shouldnt be dying from heat stroke. if heat is killing them, then they are weak and need to be culled. nature has ways of culling out the weak and leaving the strong................if we dont mettle with it to much.

most hens wont go broody till they have a clutch of eggs. clutch depends on the breed. smaller bantams are usually 6 or so eggs. medium size breeds 8-10, larger breeds can easily go up to 12. there are some breeds that are extreme like a silkie. mine will go broody even w/o eggs. but this is extreme and not the norm for fowl. very aggrevating it is.

Quote:

I was talking about normal chickens
smile.png

Why fight it? Let her set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom