Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i love hearing the old ways ..... i find it to be better and cheeper and im all for cheeper,.... can i use ashes to dust chickins for mites?

yes put your wood ashes where the chickens can dust themselves. you can mix a little de or sevin dust in too. we paint our roosts with burnt motor oil for scaly leg mites.
al, i thought you were running that rooster rescue where people could come out and hug a chicken. have you hugged your rooster today?
wink.png

Thank you al. That is what i thought but being told reasures me. I have more pullets that are about 4 months along or so. They will help keep the roos busy here in a few months. They are just mutts. But they will work good for my eggs and meat that i am wanting. I think that i will look into heritage birds here locally. To bring in and improve my chickens. I will say that i love to watch the chickens. I also want to show my children that we can raise our own food. I love this thread. Thank you again.

Quote:
LOl yes the hug a rescue rooster program was abandoned due to lack of intrest on my part LOL. Really LOL.

Wood ashes have that super fine talkum powder feel to it, they love that cause it get's into all the places they need it to. they prefer the fine powder and the DE and 7 dust is a bonus. Scaley leg mites should allways be part of a good maintenance program need it or not.

THAT'S why I couldn't get aholt of you to take that weird rooster of mine, Al! You no longer have the rooster refuge going! Sorry to say, that when I couldn't rehome him to your refuge, I just ate him.
big_smile.png

Any word on when you will be up and runnin' on the FooFoo Chicken Rescue?

That's a negatory on the Foo-Foo projects, My friends who own real chickens and have real chicken programs going would string me up by my fingernails and try to perform and exorcism on me, know I was possessed by the Foo-Foo devil.

lol.png

Here's a video that made me laugh and one of the stars of the show is a silky(foo-foo) chicken...made me laugh! I guess I didn't realize how helpless these birds are without feathers...wing feathers especially.

Nope, wood ashes won't harm them a bit. Mine actually prefer to dust in them and also eat them. They are alkaline...sort of like taking a bath in lime, I'd say. Folks spread lime on their plants to keep bugs off, so maybe it's the same concept.

All I know is that my birds have never had body lice or mites but one time got scale mites from some outside chickens....NuStock took care of it in one application and I think it probably kept them from recurring because it was all over the roosts after the birds were treated.

I've also noticed wild birds dipping into and eating the wood ashes, so there must be some good component of the ashes that the birds need or enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom