Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, they love it, those are this years chicks. There's no way I could pen them up now, they would die broken hearted, but then, they are games..I will loose a few no doubt, just hope it's not the ginger color one...my layers tend to stay around the house, they are sleeping in the camp chairs right now...silly spoiled pullets.

In West Virginia and looking at that photo, I'd expectt here are foxes, coyotes, raccoons, skunks, possums, snakes, owls, bobcat, weasels, and free ranging dogs around there. Probably hawks are around too but they usually prefer more open areas.

As "Wrangler" said, a few will probably get taken, but the ones left will be wise in the way of the world. Their offspring will be a bit wiser in that aspect too, especially if a broody raises them.. But yeah, you will always have losses. You just don't know how many or when.

For some people that is acceptable. although I bet Wrangler takes steps to stop those problems when they show up. For some people the loss of one chicken is unacceptable. We are all different.

In West Virginia and looking at that photo, I'd expectt here are foxes, coyotes, raccoons, skunks, possums, snakes, owls, bobcat, weasels, and free ranging dogs around there. Probably hawks are around too but they usually prefer more open areas.
As "Wrangler" said, a few will probably get taken, but the ones left will be wise in the way of the world. Their offspring will be a bit wiser in that aspect too, especially if a broody raises them.. But yeah, you will always have losses. You just don't know how many or when.
For some people that is acceptable. although I bet Wrangler takes steps to stop those problems when they show up. For some people the loss of one chicken is unacceptable. We are all different.
well said, and I agree.

Yes...for me right now I only have 6 so they could all go in one shot...if I had 20 or 30 I wouldn't be as concerned!
roll.png

Hi. I read the entire thread and have been following along. I've learned a lot and am so thankful.

I've only had chickens for 9wks (got tiny chicks from a local) and would appreciate some advice on Marek's. One chick started having some wing and then neck paralysis yesterday. I've quarantined it, but I'm not sure if the others are in danger. I've posted repeatedly in the emergency forum, but no one responded. Symptoms are consistent with Marek's or avian botulism from what I can tell. it's been very wet and hot here. Any advice?

I've never killed a chick or chicken, but if I need to put it out of it's misery I will.

Of course, I got dual purpose because I wanted to eat them, too, and now I'm wondering if anyone ever eats a chicken that they kill because it's sick. I mean, would the muscle meat be affected and would any issue be taken care of by cooking? I'd hate to waste the chicken unnecessarily.

Last edited:
If i had made any sudden move out the window, they would have all dropped into the weeds and been Gone. There is probably poison ivy there, as it is everywhere, as well as copperheads. We have the usual predators, daytime hawks and a nighttime wolf has taken some but no more. Roaming dogs are not tolerated in this state, now a hunting dog that has gone off trail I will catch and wait for the owner to pick it up, a young dog may get confused and would not want to kill it.chickens are not what it's after. Or livestock.
Chickencurious-yes I would immediately kill the bird, if only as a half hearted attempt to reduce the viral load..and stop the chain of infection. You can bet the other birds have been exposed already, so not much you can do....I would still remove them from that area, even so, if it's a makeshift tent in the sunshine.up wind from that site, and hope for immunity. I would burn the carcass after soaking it in gas.if not restricted. It is possible some of your birds have immunity...but also you most likely will have to start over, sorry.

Chickencurious-yes I would immediately kill the bird, if only as a half hearted attempt to reduce the viral load..and stop the chain of infection. You can bet the other birds have been exposed already, so not much you can do....I would still remove them from that area, even so, if it's a makeshift tent in the sunshine.up wind from that site, and hope for immunity. I would burn the carcass after soaking it in gas.if not restricted. It is possible some of your birds have immunity...but also you most likely will have to start over, sorry.

Wrangler,
Thank you for the response.

Kill the bird immediately and soak in gas? wow.

So I guess we shouldn't eat ANY of these chickens? Even if they never show symptoms I would have to assume they were exposed. What about eggs? This is a backyard flock in Dallas, TX of 15 chicks that are 9wks old...there isn't another spot upwind that I could set them up. :(

If I start over is there a possibility that any new chickens I get will contract Marek's from using the same yard?

If I hope for some of these to have immunity (not vaxed) and they survive, they would probably make any new additions to the flock sick, right?

My head is spinning from all this info and I still don't fully understand what Marek's is, how they get it, how long the virus can live once off the bird (in dander, right?) --> ie can I still use my yard for chickens? would there be a waiting period?
barnie.gif

Last edited:
whoa, slow down. Yes I would want to get rid of it completely, but, I see I erred...you have a different set up...I have no disease here. You may be fine to let natural immunity occur, then you can vaccinate new members or only get older chickens, not chicks..you know this could have come from practically anywhere and how close is the nearest backyard flock? So likely it can happen again. You can wait and see. Eat it? I would Never eat a diseased animal. Are you 100% certain what it is? Ug! Mad cow...need I go on? Anyway, it prob wouldn't be contagious unless they are actually shedding it...sorry for you just trying to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom