Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's called "Livormortis." it is the pooling of the blood to the lowest portion of the body after death. When there is no blood circulating, and livermortis sets in, there is no circulation to keep the tissues plump, and so - the flattening effect. When rigor mortis sets in and makes everythin stiffen, it kind of squeezes the rest of the fluids out of the tissues, producing the "dry" and flattened look. Sorry guys, not a very nice subject for first thing in the morning, but that's how it goes! And that's why you have flattened, dry, stiff chickens.

Out here in West Texas, skunks are usually the culprit for such a fiasco! They'll kill 'em all and never take a bite out of any of them. That's why, if I bother to make a chicken pen, there is fence buried 18", and all my tops are R panel metal on the shaded part, and chain link fence on the part so sun can get through( I want them to stay 'till the 2nd coming!). People out here don't do a lot about keeping their dogs up, (spaying or neutering them either), so we have lots of stray dogs, too. My Great Pyr usually takes care of the dogs & coyotes. Foxes sometimes get by her (they cllimb like a cat), but she's been skunked so many times, she's reluctant to badger them...smart girl that she is.

It's in stores...the usual brand is Bragg's and around these parts you can only find it at the health food stores~but you can buy one jug and split it off into regular ACV to make more so you don't have to worry anymore about availability.
So Bee, you can add Braggs to a gallon of regular ACV and the resulting mixture will be as good as the Braggs? My girls have been on Braggs since they were 3 days old and I don't want to give them a watered down version.

Therapydoglady, what is a R panel?

R-Panel
The R Panel is a low-maintenance, durable alternative to conventional roofing. It's ideal for retro-fitting over existing composition shingles, and it saves time, labor and disposal costs, which means a lower total project cost. Choose from many designer colors for a sleek, attractive appearance.

A metal roofing panel. I had to look it up myself.

When my husband was alive, he laughed at me for such "drastic precautions." But having been raised by my grandparents, and my great grandparents, it was thumped into my head over and over to "anticipate the worst that can happen, compensate for it BEFOREHAND, then sit back, relax, and enjoy it." I have found it's pretty sound advice whether building fences, haybarns, and yes, even chicken pens. I do not want to spend my time repairing what some dog tore up, some horse ran through. Make it near indestructable in the first place. Overkill? maybe. But my chickens are safe and sound every morning when I turn them out, and I know the Great Pyr witll see over them in the daytime. My chicken wrangling is the easiest part of my operation! The goats? Well, that's another matter...

So Bee, you can add Braggs to a gallon of regular ACV and the resulting mixture will be as good as the Braggs? My girls have been on Braggs since they were 3 days old and I don't want to give them a watered down version.

It won't be watered down, you just have to give the new mix time to grow a good mother and then you have the same product. You can even do this with apple juice but it takes longer to ferment it into vinegar. Braggs is just mother vinegar and when you add the mother to a new vinegar it has the same spores...just give them time to colonize the whole jug.

It's called "Livormortis." it is the pooling of the blood to the lowest portion of the body after death. When there is no blood circulating, and livermortis sets in, there is no circulation to keep the tissues plump, and so - the flattening effect. When rigor mortis sets in and makes everythin stiffen, it kind of squeezes the rest of the fluids out of the tissues, producing the "dry" and flattened look. Sorry guys, not a very nice subject for first thing in the morning, but that's how it goes! And that's why you have flattened, dry, stiff chickens.

Out here in West Texas, skunks are usually the culprit for such a fiasco! They'll kill 'em all and never take a bite out of any of them. That's why, if I bother to make a chicken pen, there is fence buried 18", and all my tops are R panel metal on the shaded part, and chain link fence on the part so sun can get through( I want them to stay 'till the 2nd coming!). People out here don't do a lot about keeping their dogs up, (spaying or neutering them either), so we have lots of stray dogs, too. My Great Pyr usually takes care of the dogs & coyotes. Foxes sometimes get by her (they cllimb like a cat), but she's been skunked so many times, she's reluctant to badger them...smart girl that she is.

Excellent info! I'm so glad you joined us here, TDL!
smile.png

Ok,
I was intrigued about the electrolyte replacement drink made with ACV & Honey. Sounds a lot cheaper than gatorade even after I cut it 50/50 with water. But then I ee someting about unpasturized? ..... is the Braggs just for chickens or human consumption?
I have seen un-pasteurized ACV recommended multiple times, but I can't say I've read where to actually find it. Is it in stores? Online only? I'm assuming the stuff int he pantry isn't the same.

I'm intrigued by the ACV/honey drink. I have drank ACV and water for reflux in the past (2 AM, 6 months pregnant, snow and ice outside, and totally out of meds and desperate for relief... found it on the internet) - I'm sure the honey would help the flavor tremendously!
It's in stores...the usual brand is Bragg's and around these parts you can only find it at the health food stores~but you can buy one jug and split it off into regular ACV to make more so you don't have to worry anymore about availability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom