Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I may have missed this answer somewhere in the thread, but I'd love Bee's or any other OT's opinion on electrolyte powder in this heat. I was at TS and they were doing a demo on it. I bought a pack, but I'm scared to death of screwing up! (I've been using a mister up until today---seriously!) It was 101 with 70% humidity yesterday! It's a wonder I didn't give my girls heat stroke! *sigh* I am amazed every day that I haven't killed a bird yet!

Day three (or two for some) out the door and onto being a chicken
thumbsup.gif

Hi Fred , Sorry ..you do answer many threads ...Here is your quote that I was replying to Why
Kill a chicken because it limps ?
"Culling to a "utilitarian" (I guess that's the word of the week) is a fact of life. When you've got a couple hundred birds, if one limps, as Mississippi says, you cull it. Done. All chickens meet that end, it is just a matter of when, so it makes no difference if it is 18 weeks, a year old, or 2 years old. If a hen doesn't lay, it gets culled. If hens slow down and the economics aren't there for another moult and down time? They're culled. There's no chicken that doesn't get eaten or, on rare occasion, composted. Nothing is wasted. It's the "circle of life"."
thanks for your patience

Hi Fred , Sorry ..you do answer many threads ...Here is your quote that I was replying to Why
Kill a chicken because it limps ?
"Culling to a "utilitarian" (I guess that's the word of the week) is a fact of life. When you've got a couple hundred birds, if one limps, as Mississippi says, you cull it. Done. All chickens meet that end, it is just a matter of when, so it makes no difference if it is 18 weeks, a year old, or 2 years old. If a hen doesn't lay, it gets culled. If hens slow down and the economics aren't there for another moult and down time? They're culled. There's no chicken that doesn't get eaten or, on rare occasion, composted. Nothing is wasted. It's the "circle of life"."
thanks for your patience

Hey Gramma Chick

My answer was given, about 7 posts above. Also read Beekissed answer about why, IF the limping continues, there is indeed a reason to cull.

Sorry, I may have missed this answer somewhere in the thread, but I'd love Bee's or any other OT's opinion on electrolyte powder in this heat. I was at TS and they were doing a demo on it. I bought a pack, but I'm scared to death of screwing up! (I've been using a mister up until today---seriously!) It was 101 with 70% humidity yesterday! It's a wonder I didn't give my girls heat stroke! *sigh* I am amazed every day that I haven't killed a bird yet!

I've never used electrolyte powder but if you got it, use it. Can't hurt. Probably more expensive than just using ACV, though, so save yourself some money next time and just throw some vinegar in the water....good for rabbits, dogs, sheep...well, good for just about any livestock as a supplement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom