Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd not "double dose". I wait a few days before applying the permethrin, but that's just me. If they have access to dirt, they've probably already rolled in the dust and dirt anyhow. At this point, you may not be in control of the situation, as you are just a guest, so all you can do is recommend?
If you do have another bite at the apple, in 2 or 3 days, I'd go ahead with permethrin. Yes, the liquid is nice to use, but the dust shaker is easier for most folks to apply to the bird. I use a 2 gallon tank sprayer for spraying stuff like coop, roosts, etc, but I do not spray chickens.

Breed of chicken OAGF or, old Appalachian game fowl, place of origin- springridge in braxton county WV. Hahaha. Seriously, though, they have some game, some of whatever lays green eggs, and only God knows for sure what else - I've had a few guesses from Asia to Germany, could be anything. The purists all scoff at my chickens, so I am developing my own breed, one that the characteristics cannot match all the characteristics of any other breed, some one thing must be off...who knows, they finally registered the walkin mountain horse and now every state east of the Mississippi wants to lay claim to its origin and name it something different. (With a hefty price tag too). I did spend an hour or so admiring the broody teach her kids to hunt today, she makes a Big fuss over flying grasshoppers-must be a delicasy! That spot is the only bare patch to get a photo, the 'kids' are getting alot of exercise just trying to keep up!
I feel for the flea infestation, I wouldn't bother trying to blow any of it off, maybe it will still kill some and add the next poison to it. Maybe this fellow was sick for a while and it might take time to get it under control. Good luck with it, you must be a saint.

Fred's Hens: Picking up Permethrin powder this afternoon. Hope that does it. Would you blow the Sevin off them before dusting w/ Permethrin? I have a blower I use to dry my horses...has a low setting...don't think it would blow the feathers off 'em. LOL I just don't wanna kill the old man's chickens. He's cantankerous enough with out that! LOL(What is it they say in Alabama? "Bless his heart!")

FuzzyButtsFarm: I'm not sure. Sand fleas, I guess. Lots of 'em runnin' around, but LOTS more of them digging in and sitting down in huge clusters. Poor chickens!

If they are sticking in clusters especially around the comb, wattles, under the chin, and eyes. Those are stick tight fleas. They love very dry weather. If they are that bad he's had them a while. I fighting that battle myself. The tiny ones you see are the males and the females that haven't found a host. They dig in to the host and live there producing eggs for the rest of their lives and stick like glue even after they die. He's is going to have to treat each bird before putting it back into the coop etc. after the coop has been treated. After that he needs to treat the coop once a week for 3-4 wks to break the fleas life cycle. Putting vasaline or a heavy oil on the clusters if they are on the chickens will smother them.

Looking for some good info on roosters. We had one who was too rough on the ladies (7 of 'em), barebacked a couple so he went in the crock pot. Went without for a few months and the girls seemed fussy (bunch of girls together without men - you know how it gets). Got another rooster.

This guy came from a ranch with too many roosters. He won't go into the coop at night, and would prefer to roost in a nearby tree. If I close him in the run, he'll just sit by the door. Will he figure that out? Have tried physically putting him in at night, but it doesn't stick.

Also, he seems a bit rough on them too. Lots of head feather pulling, and yesterday I saw him chase one, get a feather, and eat it.

Long story for a short question. Not being familiar with roosters - how rough is too rough? I'm not attached, the girls just seem so much happier with a man in the picture.

Has anyone had a problems with chickens and feeders? Mine will intentionally bury it as soon as I put it in and won't eat from it. The only thing I have been able to get them to eat from is a cat dish and one of my old cake pans propped up. I have tried the long feeder and the round ones, I have even hung it up and they still fill it with what ever they can and refuse to eat from it.

Maybe I just have picky birds, they also don't like being held or touched at all, even though I have held them every day of there life.

Breed of chicken OAGF or, old Appalachian game fowl, place of origin- springridge in braxton county WV. Hahaha. Seriously, though, they have some game, some of whatever lays green eggs, and only God knows for sure what else - I've had a few guesses from Asia to Germany, could be anything. The purists all scoff at my chickens, so I am developing my own breed, one that the characteristics cannot match all the characteristics of any other breed, some one thing must be off...who knows, they finally registered the walkin mountain horse and now every state east of the Mississippi wants to lay claim to its origin and name it something different. (With a hefty price tag too). I did spend an hour or so admiring the broody teach her kids to hunt today, she makes a Big fuss over flying grasshoppers-must be a delicasy! That spot is the only bare patch to get a photo, the 'kids' are getting alot of exercise just trying to keep up! I feel for the flea infestation, I wouldn't bother trying to blow any of it off, maybe it will still kill some and add the next poison to it. Maybe this fellow was sick for a while and it might take time to get it under control. Good luck with it, you must be a saint.
ACW,
Any chance of getting some fertile eggs this fall? I would love to have some tough old free range birds to help my large fowl figure out how to look for food, predators, etc.
Crystal

FuzzyButtsFarm: I will certainly do the vaseline thing. I feel so sorry for those birds! I raked and dusted the entire coop last night, burned what was in the nests and powdered nest boxes and replaced the straw. I held each chicken upside down and dusted down under the feathers. I promised the man
I would care for his chickens and cats until I "see the whites of his eyes" and for him not to worry about them. Think he is due for hip surgery Monday they said, so it'll be a week or two. I got flea collars for his cats (probably the origin of the fleas, ages ago), and bought the permethrin pwder, and I got a big sack of diatamacious (sp?) earth. It won't harm the chickens, and will slowly kill the fleas. He is in his '80's and I bet he doesn't even know .

"Stick tight" is a very appropriate name for them. They are awful! If they like hot & dry, they're in heaven out here!

Thanks, everyone for quick response and advice.

BTW: temp today is 106 degrees...temp in the chicken run w/ fan and mister is 89 degrees. I have a very old Coca Cola thermometer that still works and nailed it up in there yesterday. The chickens like their new decoration! Maybe twinkling lights and curtains later.

Originally posted by therapydoglady: I promised the man I would care for his chickens and cats until I "see the whites of his eyes" and for him not to worry about them. Think he is due for hip surgery Monday they said, so it'll be a week or two.

It's just my opinion, and worth about as much as you are paying for it, but most 80 year olds have to spend 6-8 weeks in nursing home rehab after a hip surgery. My guess is that you will be that flock's caretaker for a good while yet.

God bless you and those chickens.

Angela

Therapydoglady,

Kudos to for what you are doing. It's people like you that restores my faith in humanity. Rest assured there will be a special place in heaven for you. May all your eggs be fertile and all your chicks be hens. Bless you.

Therapydoglady,

Kudos to for what you are doing. It's people like you that restores my faith in humanity. Rest assured there will be a special place in heaven for you. May all your eggs be fertile and all your chicks be hens. Bless you.
I agree! I am going out of state for a week and my hubby has to take care of my 3 week olds for a total of 5 days. He is good at taking orders. He just does not have time. Bless you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom