Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I have a dry meal worm container like that. They know that bag. :p I think I have a little experiment to attempt.

I have a dry meal worm container like that. They know that bag. :p I think I have a little experiment to attempt.

Disclaimer- not an old timer here.

Call them in a consistent way whenever delivering treats. They will be conditioned to come to "here chickie" even if you don't have goodies for them. Mine run over to the fence just to check any time I get near. (Although I'd rather think they're coming because they love me!) HA!
lau.gif

Quote:
LOL, yea I know mine don't love me. I look at them like spoiled teenagers. Suck up when you have the treats, take them without saying thank you, and ***** about how mean you are as soon as your back is turned. Edit... I can't type *****... but this is the OT forum! Okay fine 'complain'...happy?

Last edited:
I got my first egg today from my 19 week old California White. It's small (as I expected) but otherwise perfect. Are the first eggs OK to eat and would I be better off leaving it in the nest to encourage the 10 other hens. I have 2 golf balls in each of the nesting boxes

I got my first egg today from my 19 week old California White. It's small (as I expected) but otherwise perfect. Are the first eggs OK to eat and would I be better off leaving it in the nest to encourage the 10 other hens. I have 2 golf balls in each of the nesting boxes
They are perfectly fine to eat. I collect all eggs. I don't want any to be broken, by accident, and have to be concerned about that issue.

Eat the egg. The golf balls will show them where to lay.

They will lay when nature tells them to. Unless you manipulate the lights or such to delay them laying, you don't have much control over it. Their bodies need to mature before they start to lay. Have patience. Let their bodies get ready. With that many you will soon have lots of eggs.

Kassaundra: Ha ha ha! I have a magic bucket, too! The handle broke off it the other day...I'll have to retrain them to another. And we call it "the magic bucket!

Stonykill: Get that cat a treat! Or at least a special pillow in his favorite lounging place! WHAT A CAT!

The flea situation is calming down. Guess the Sevin did do a little something. I will dust them with the permethrin Monday or Tuesday. Thanks, y'all! If the little man is gone as long as you say, at least maybe we can get the fleas gone.

I looked up diatomaceous earth for the treatment of fleas. If this stuff does all that it's supposed to, it will be a miracle in a bag...and it's all natural, won't hurt the animals if they eat it, etc. etc. Very interesting reading if you care to look it up. I will not put it where they tend to take their dust baths, as they should not breathe it, but under the nest boxes, and inside the coop where it will sift down between the boards and underneath the building, you bet! I even dusted the cats with it last evening, and there's not a flea on the poor things this morning! Don't know if it's the collars, or the DE, but at this point, I don't care!

I remember, some time ago on this thread, someone talking about the hooklike device used to catch chickens by the leg. Could anyone tell me how to make one of these, where to buy one , or refer me to a thread describing the hook?

PS.

ajlynco: Congrats on your 1st. egg. Isn't it exciting? I've had chickens all my life, and I still "get that excited feeling" whenever a new clutch hatches or when young pullets start laying, or young roosters start crowing, or..."

I just like chickens, I guess. It's a disease!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom