Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also I didn't think laying birds really went broody much. I was told that it was bread out of them or something.

Because something can happen does not mean it will actually happen each and every time without fail. Because something does not happen much does not mean it will not ever happen.

Most of the broodiness has been bred out of certain chickens. Most does not mean all. Don't count on absolutes with chickens. it does not work that way. You have to be flexible and deal with what you have, not some fantasy world filled with absolutes. Life just ain't that way.

Hahaha! I have a canary bird that just sings it's little heart out. A friend wanted to borrow "him" because all of hers were related, so Jolly went to stay with her awhile to make babies...started laying eggs instead. Changed her name from Jolly to Butch!
If you bought that canary, it might have been treated with male hormones as males bring more $. The downside is that sometimes when the poor girls start to lay, their reproductive tracts have shrunken up so they die from being egg bound. Poor canaries are routinely color and hormone treated.

Chickens are round pegs, they don't fit into square holes. I wouldn't pen two or three roos together that didn't grow up together. Once they run from the fight it's usually over but if they have nowhere to run your dominent roos will likely kill it and all roos will help. When they are chicks they usually work out the order, but still, you can get some fights. It's one way to find out who top of the heap.
That feed looks good, open a bag and inspect it before you buy it.

I've read and tried every suggestion for peeling boiled eggs out there. I learned how to boil and peel eggs at an early age too. And routinely do the salt and cooldown, always have. Even tried the fridge thing, etc.

Finally I have come up with a foolproof way: Let them age 2 weeks first.

The way my husband (head cook in this household,) overcomes the difficulty of peeling fresh-laid, hard-boiled eggs is by adding a very generous amount of vinegar to their water before boiling. Example, 1 dozen fresh eggs, 1.5-2 cups of vinegar, cover with 1-2" of water, boil, cool and peel. The amount of time boiling or the method of cooling doesn't seem to help us peel the eggs any more easily.
Angela

Gma always used a splash of vinegar, maybe a tablespoon, I've done without, so the main thing is cooling it well and long before peeling, I don't bother with wasting ice on it either.

I don't understand all the hub-bub over hard boiled eggs. I don't recall ever having a problem with it. BOIL them - longer than you think it should take. Then COOL them as fast as possible - cause you can't eat them till you can touch them....
big_smile.png
The little buggers will practically squirt right out of the shells.

I don't understand all the hub-bub over hard boiled eggs. I don't recall ever having a problem with it. BOIL them - longer than you think it should take. Then COOL them as fast as possible - cause you can't eat them till you can touch them....
big_smile.png
The little buggers will practically squirt right out of the shells.
goodpost.gif

My fresh eggs were nigh impossible to peel without losing half the white. Kinda hard to take devilled eggs to church potluck with half the white gone lol.

I now steam them. Read about it as all the rage on line and finally decided to try it. Works a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom