Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote: There is a small, family owned grocery store in my town that still has the bag boys (and girls) carry the groceries out for you and bags them. I have to admit, I feel a little weird when it is only two bags that I could have easily carried myself. It is nice when there are many bags and I have all 4 kiddos with me.

Quote:
There is a small, family owned grocery store in my town that still has the bag boys (and girls) carry the groceries out for you and bags them. I have to admit, I feel a little weird when it is only two bags that I could have easily carried myself. It is nice when there are many bags and I have all 4 kiddos with me.
Our local Atwoods will carry the feed out for you. Also our local Piggly Wiggly.

not sure what to do about an egg eater flock. i am open to suggestions.
We feed our hens hot sauce and/or ground Cayenne pepper to help their system. It will not deter them eating eggs. I would suggest using gold balls or ceramic eggs to help discourage the egg eating. Also, locate the bird with egg on its face and place that bird in a wire cage alone for a few days. It may forget about the egg eating. make certain the feed is a good feed. A poor feed with low calcium will cause poor quality egg shell. When an egg accidentally gets broken, they will eat the egg.

loanwizard: Yes, I'm still afraid of 'em. I have raised my share of runts on a bottle - because I was made to do so. As soon as they were bit enough to bite the end of the nipple off - they went back to their mama. When we had the broiler houses, one of my jobs was to go through every morning and pick up dead chickens...and feed them to the hogs. Those swine crunched them guts, feathers & all! And down the road from us (about 8 miles "as the crow flies") a man and his wife had a hog farm. Hundreds of hogs. One fall, he took a truck load to market and left his wife to tend the hogs. They knocked her down, killed her, and then ate her. Coroner found part of her pelvis, some red hair & bloody dirt. No thank you. I'll stick with my chickens! They might" peck my eyes out," but I think I can still out run 'em!

ep.gif
color me disturbed...that story will more than likely re-manifest itself in a horrible dream at some point in my life.

I don't think like that either. I understand that they consider them as pets and they won't hesitate to spend huge sums for medical treatment for them. The way I keep them, they'd die a horrible death unless I made sure it was swift and sure.

Clay, I wonder which the world changes faster for. My father, who was born when cars for personal transportation was just barely starting and horses were still the main mode of transportation for individuals to where we had men landing on the moon. Dad went through a period of tremendous technology and social change. We are going through a lot of changes too, but I'm not convinced they are as much of a fundamental change as Dad saw.

Clay, I wonder which the world changes faster for. My father, who was born when cars for personal transportation was just barely starting and horses were still the main mode of transportation for individuals to where we had men landing on the moon. Dad went through a period of tremendous technology and social change. We are going through a lot of changes too, but I'm not convinced they are as much of a fundamental change as Dad saw.

Oh, there you go being reasonable again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom