Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks. Brie here. Therapydoglady called us all in this morning, as well as her attorney. Said if she gave the boys, one or both, power of attorney, then they could sign the final papers on the sale of the house and land, and she could see no other reason to hang around. Her attorney, semi-retired and a close friend, brought the papers at lunch, and all were signed and notarized by the hospital notary. We all had lunch together, she gave kisses all around and asked for a pain shot for the first time around 2:00 p.m. She stopped breathing at 4:59 p.m.

In death, as in life, she didn't mess around much. Before she had cancer, she had labled herself as the "Queen of Procrastination." But since I've known her, she was a ball of fire and got things done. We'll miss her so much, but we will remember her Joyfully, and you all should too!

Note:While sitting in her office, I noticed a row of 1" binders on her bookshelf. It was no less than 12 volumes of poetry she'd written. Each volume has about 50 poems in them. Everything from cowboy poetry, to poems about people, poems about animals, and even poems about chickens! And then there are about 10 volumes of short stories, some published, some not even proof read, but the ones I did read are great for kids. Who knew?

We didn't know she was even sick! My prayers are with your family and you can tell them that, though we just had her on here briefly, she was already becoming a valuable fixture here and had fit right into the forum. We will definitely miss her spice and nice!
hugs.gif

Good Morning!  Brie again. I am beginning to think that very thing. The more I read her daily log, the more I realize just how happy and in love with this disappearing way of life she was.  And how satisfied and at peace she was at the end of every day when she sat down and wrote of the happenings of her day. A much slower pace all around.   We live in San Antonio, and it is so big!  I think our kids would definitely benefit from a more rural environment with animals etc.  We had discussed taking Rudy, the Macaw, but she had already placed the old fart with another person.  He hated us, but he loved our kids.  My daughter was especially fond of the chickens while my son loved the goats and horses.  He has become quite the equestrian, and his Mimaw had just bought him his first real rope and a practice head you put on a bale of hay.  Chickens might not be such a big problem.

Thank you for your condolances, and the invitation to stay.  I would like that.  Brie.

BRIE, I hope you do stay. I live just a few min south of SA, and it would be nice to have a local chicken person as a friend:). ~Naomi

She will be missed, but we are glad you found BYC!

Is there a link to her obituary so her poultry friends can honor her memory?

**Edited by Staff**
Not just yet. Her wish was to be cremated, and when that is done, we will have a memorial service. She has ordered a party! We will let you know. Besides, this forum would be as much as she would or could ever want. You guys have been unbelievable! Brie

We didn't know she was even sick! My prayers are with your family and you can tell them that, though we just had her on here briefly, she was already becoming a valuable fixture here and had fit right into the forum. We will definitely miss her spice and nice!
hugs.gif
We didn't know either! She called and told both her boys that they needed to come last Friday. By that time, all the animals except for the Domin - oh heck! - those black and white speckled chickens- were gone, and they went Sunday. The horses, the goats, the house pets, the therapy dogs everything was in a new home. The house was already sold and Tuesday, she was actually angry because the Title Search stuff had not been completed. Her lawyer said the boys could do it, and she bowed to that notion, simmply because she was too tired to wait.

We are all being re-introduced to our mother and mother-in-law. The poetry. The stories. She was a decorated veteran of the Vietnam War for heaven's sake! We didn't even know! This is turning out to be an incredible journey! Brie

So sorry to read this. She will be greatly missed by many.
I would love to read some of her poems, if it isn't too personal to ask.
smile.png
She would share anything she had, and did! I'm sure she wouldn't mind. I don't know how to personal message. Just haven't taken time to find out. But is you PM to her e-mail, I will be glad to send you some. What kind do you like? She has it all! I have not even made a dent in it, but I particularly like her prayer poems. When someone asked for prayers, she wrote a prayer in poem form. I also LOVE her cowboy poetry. Lots of those have been published, and she read at cowboy poetry gatherings. Last February in Alpilne. She also goes to Nevada ever year. Brie

OK GUYS!!!!!!! ENOUGH!!!!!

This is a CHICKEN FORUM, and an OLD TIMER'S advice thread. We've monopolized it long enough...get back to the business of chickens, please!

If you would llike more info on Therapydoglady, please personal message us, and we will certainly get back to you. God Bless you all, Brie

Ok, so are we only a chicken thread, or may we also discuss our experience and hope regarding other barnyard fowl? Me, I'd like to talk a little turkey, duck, and goose too. (Not that I don't love my chickens)

I actually mostly keep chickens now to be brooder for my expensive eggs. I really don't like brooding much, or turning eggs in the bator, so I have a small silky tribe. What about you all?

Ok, so are we only a chicken thread, or may we also discuss our experience and hope regarding other barnyard fowl? Me, I'd like to talk a little turkey, duck, and goose too. (Not that I don't love my chickens)

I actually mostly keep chickens now to be brooder for my expensive eggs. I really don't like brooding much, or turning eggs in the bator, so I have a small silky tribe. What about you all?

I let the geese do their own thing, unless I want more birds from that mating. Most of my ducks are unreliable, so I hatch duck eggs under chickens. Chickens, I use broodies or an incubator. Depends on the mating and how many I want. I have 200 young waterfowl here at the moment. Turkeys last about 6 months here with the hens croaking at 3 months. The wild turkeys do just fine in the vineyards, but domestic turkeys do not survive around my chickens. The chickens don't die unless they are hit by a car or of old age. 7-12 years is average age of a chicken here. My birds don't get sick, and I don't medicate.and I don't worry about them dying if I send them to NY or anywhere else for that matter. What are the expensive eggs? I see some Tolbundt eggs going for $75.00 each....that is just stupid!

Walt

You're welcome. If you check out my profile, there is a link to my facebook page where I have albums of my chicken and garden stuff. I'm happy to share my decades of experience, but sometimes my Curmudgeon viewpoint gets me chastised on this forum.
Darkmatter was also nice enough to give me some advice as I was planning my coop this winter. My coop is not nearly as nice either inside or out, but the basic plan of a sub ground level floor that I picked up from him is working really well for me and I am so grateful.

I never thought you were a curmudgeon Dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom