Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/696749/messy-rear-end

Quote:
Oh my!..... Oh My!.... OH MY!

I am speechless, which for me... is saying something.

Why oh why do I wander out there where it isn't safe?!?!?!?

Sorry I'm new here but I cannot even begin to fathom how that persons chickens are getting so filthy in their own poop that maggots are eating them!!!??? That's disgusting. What is wrong with people?! My girls are confined to their run most of the time during the summer months because we need to be able to let our kids use the yard without rolling in chicken crap all day, but even with a dozen chickens in a 130s/f run for the summer we don't get poop buildup or mess anywhere NEAR enough to warrant them getting eaten by maggots. That person should be shot!

Ok, a question about the above mentioned thread. Would the chicken actually die from the maggots or from the other chickens pecking it trying to get the maggots? I would think the latter would cause the chicken to die from infection due to the pecking!

The way I see it, the OT won't have a breed that is so fluffy that the poo can build up that bad in the first place. Secondly, one of my Orp hens has been walking around with a pile of dried poo on her butt forever and hasn't suffered maggots or anything. I suppose, like dogs with big mats in their hair, it could cause irritation that the flies might eventually lay eggs in. Who knows.

Tongue in cheek- I suppose it would be dependent upon the accuracy of the peckers....
Oh crap, I just spit Pepsi on my computer. Thanks for the laugh. I was just reading the Emergernces, Illness, and medical thread and someone was actually talking about spaying a hen and giving one hormone replacement. I had to come back to the land of common sense before I puked. That laugh was just what I needed after reading that thread. Gotta love questions like: I am new to chicken, but It is 105 outside and my chicken is panting, what can I do???? Really give the dang thing some cold water and shade, moron.

Last edited:
Oh crap, I just spit Pepsi on my computer. Thanks for the laugh. I was just reading the Emergernces, Illness, and medical thread and someone was actually talking about spaying a hen and giving one hormone replacement. I had to come back to the land of common sense before I puked. That laugh was just what I needed after reading that thread. Gotta love questions like: I am new to chicken, but It is 105 outside and my chicken is panting, what can I do???? Really give the dang thing some cold water and shade, moron.

Now in that case, wouldn't it be better to run to Ace and pick up an extension cord and an oscillating fan? It must be oscillating because ventilation is good, draft is bad. Then we need to build a screen ice holder to mount on said fan with a towel as a filter so the water droplets don't become electrically charged and electrocute the chickens. Properly made, it can also be used to dry the feathers that you just cleaned the poop off of..... I know I know, never end a sentence with a preposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom