Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
lau.gif
Chicken pedicures
lau.gif

Well, thank God. I've got enough to do. There are a couple threads on this site and a few more on my facebook page that were talking about it. And I noticed my chickens nails are a bit long, but so what. Really got me aggravated, so I came here for a real answer. Feel free to laugh...doesn't bother me in the least. Thanks.

Well, here goes. This may be one of those shake your heads and roll your eyes kind of questions, but....Do I really need to be trimming the dang toenails on these chickens? I keep reading threads about this and I don't want to. If chickens are supposed to just be chickens, then why can't they trim their own darn nails. I'm sure people with flocks of 50 or 100 aren't out there trimming any nails. I get it about the spurs, that's not what prompted this question. I'm talking routine nail trimming maintenance.

Our mutt hen, Spot, was dropped by my son when she was a couple of days old. Her middle toe got broke and son got a lesson in why we listen when Mom says to be careful how we hold babies...

A couple of times per year I catch Spot and see if that nail needs trimming. The rest of her nails wear away as she scratches. The permanently bent toe does not get worn enough.

I understand if you show chickens, trimming nails and beaks as needed is part of your show prep. My "yard birds" only get trimmed if I think there is a problem.

Does that answer your question? I also filed my favorite rooster's spurs, but that was to just take the points down to "not razor sharp". He was not amused by the metal file. (The only thing I had handy that would "dent" those spurs.)

Was about to post and noticed Bee's reply. Spot is an otherwise perfectly healthy hen who got damaged through no fault of her own. I trim the toenail to keep her from tripping over it. I would do the same for a dog or cat. I don't see me going into the chicken yard with the nail clippers as being frou frou.

bee i have been working. i own a concession business. so i was up at green county pa doing a show. i did not get out in time someone sold me 2 incubaters. i don't have a broody so this may fill the bill. i do a lot of 4h festivals so i get to talk about my best subject chickens. i want some marans and welsummers for giggles sake. how you doing bee?

now for the toenail question. i never seen toenails trimmed. however spurs on the rooster can hurt you. if you want, wrangle up the chickens take dremel tool and lightly go over the toenails. it is kinda like a chicken pedicure.

Well, thank God. I've got enough to do. There are a couple threads on this site and a few more on my facebook page that were talking about it. And I noticed my chickens nails are a bit long, but so what. Really got me aggravated, so I came here for a real answer. Feel free to laugh...doesn't bother me in the least. Thanks.

Wasn't laughing at you...just at the information.
wink.png
That was a first for me to hear....just when I thought I'd heard it all on here. Yeah, I could see trimming a toenail on a toe that is broken and doesn't hit the ground right...but only if it truly hinders the bird's life. If it just looks long but doesn't make walking difficult, I would leave it be.

I've occasionally~in a blue moon~ trimmed a rooster's spurs but not for my own benefit...when they get so long that the bird has to walk carefully to keep from scraping his legs, I'll take a bit off for his benefit. I'm not worried about the sharpness in regards to my sake...rooster's spurs are something I never have to consider.

Bruce, I've been clearing out the garden, putting veggies in the freezer, getting ready for fall. The usual.
smile.png

With all due repect, I have trimmed toenails on my exhibition birds for decades. Some laying flocks toenails will wrap totally around and under. Its not often, but the need does arise.

I've had chickens as old as 10 years old that never needed trimmed, so I'm not sure if that is a breed/management/genetics problem or just a show bird problem, but for general functioning in the natural world, I've never seen a layer hen that needed toenails trimmed nor have I ever saw one that wrapped around a roost! Can't even imagine that. In three generations of women keeping chickens in this family we've never seen a need for toenail trimming, so please forgive me if I'm somewhat skeptical of the need for such a thing.

It may be a preference thing? Or birds that are caged and can't wear their feet normally? People who handle their birds for show who don't want to get scratched? Or if the judges want clipped nails? Regular birds don't seem to need it, IME.

So...let me rephrase: In MY experience, regular breeds of layers that walk normally upon the earth for their lives shouldn't need toenail trimming as a regular part of their maintenance.
wink.png

Last edited:
Thanks Bee. I gave them some watermelon before I left & put it under the waterer in the hopes they boink their head on it and when it gets wet they realize there is water in there lol
I will try holding one of them to show them the water when I get home. Those girls are quick runners tho
D.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom