Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that what they are??? I had no idea. I'll have to google & find some photos...
Caster bean is what my Gma always called gopher purge, but there was a big discussion on another thread and there is a different plant actually that is the "gopher purge" The caster bean is beautiful, but the seed is quite deadly. My gma had them all over the place (caster bean) we had goats at the time they never touched them. Her chickens didn't free range so I don't know about them.

Caster bean is what my Gma always called gopher purge, but there was a big discussion on another thread and there is a different plant actually that is the "gopher purge" The caster bean is beautiful, but the seed is quite deadly. My gma had them all over the place (caster bean) we had goats at the time they never touched them. Her chickens didn't free range so I don't know about them.

Here's the gopher plant I've got. It's not the same thing as castor bean, but it is still poisonous:
"All parts of the plant, including the seeds and roots are poisonous. Handling may cause skin irritation as the plant produces latex. While poisonous to humans and most livestock, goats sometimes eat it and are immune to the toxin. However, the toxin can be passed through the goat's milk."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphorbia_lathyris

Here's a castor bean plant:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castor_bean

Yes, here are a couple pics of my caster bean

They weren't happy w/ our drought this year, my gma's would get taller then a person w/ brilliant leaves.

Ok, so I know Hatchery chicks are often frowned upon in this establishment (
gig.gif
) but for those of y'all that do use hatchery birds, what hatcheries do you use?

*standing back to watch the feathers fly*

Ok, so I know Hatchery chicks are often frowned upon in this establishment (
gig.gif
) but for those of y'all that do use hatchery birds, what hatcheries do you use?

*standing back to watch the feathers fly*

Too broad a question, I'm afraid. Since there are so many hatcheries and a hundred different breeds, strains and mixes. I've seen this question come up on the forums many, many times and each time there will be 40 posts of testimonial support for the hatchery chosen by the poster. What breed or strain are you looking for? What goal do you have in purchasing the birds? Looks?, production? meat?

I have 6 Black Sex Links & 5 California Whites. One of the Whites has gone broody, much to my surprise. She's also roosting in the nestbox. She just started this week and, for now, I'm letting it run it's course. If it continues I'm going to have to do something. Any suggestions? Also, when I run her off the nest she fights with any hen that gets in her way and sometimes goes looking for a fight. I'm assuming this is natural for a p#*sed off broody hen, but I'm about to give her a mild attitude adjustment and looking for some insight. thanks guys

Let's make those hybrids marketable.... something exotic so you... and I... can get 20.00 per dozen.... for the eggs....

How about Blue Mountain Boobala's?

Juggernauts?

Over the shoulder boulder holder birds....

Ahhhh..... Blue Ridge Bodacious.

Bantam TaTa's......

Boo Bee's.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom