Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Galefrances, the Old Timers already told us: for chickens we call them "flaps". People have curtains, lol. I do plan to have curtains AND flaps in my next coop, so just teasing!

Loan wizard, yes, please make sure your structure is safe and sound before you do much else. It might be cheaper in the long run to get a new building than to attempt to fix a severely decayed one. Looks like most of your wooden items could then be transferred to the new building. You'll be left with plenty of scrap steel to make lots of safe chicken tractors...

See how my brain runs? But seriously, last thing you need is a wind storm or blizzard and have that thing collapse.

Well, it was a busy day and I'm tired. After cutting most of our two acres, I managed to bog down the lawn tractor in a compost pile. Really, it was just a pile of grass clippings NEXT to the old compost pile, but it will be awhile before Hubby lets me live it down.

Bee, I haven't said lately how much I enjoy this thread. Y'all keep up the good suggestions and I'll keep reading them!

got a question . i am trying to help someone on this site. she is very new to chickens. she added some birds to existing flock without quarentine first. yep you know it the flock came down with corzya. i have explained that the birds will always be carriers. so what do we do? she would like to save them. i understand her point. it is just where she is at in life right now,

suggestions please

got a question . i am trying to help someone on this site. she is very new to chickens. she added some birds to existing flock without quarentine first. yep you know it the flock came down with corzya. i have explained that the birds will always be carriers. so what do we do? she would like to save them. i understand her point. it is just where she is at in life right now,

suggestions please
I had coryza in one of my first flocks after I made the mistake of buying from a not so reliable breeder. I medicated the chickens and I have never regretted it. The carriers never infected any other birds. I've still got one easter egger that had infectious coryza, and as I said, she has never infected anyone else. Just something to keep in mind I guess.

Galefrances, the Old Timers already told us: for chickens we call them "flaps". People have curtains, lol. I do plan to have curtains AND flaps in my next coop, so just teasing!
cool.png
Good to know.

suggestions please

I really cannot advise you on that one. Never had any illness in my flocks. Someone just asked me this questions via PM the other day: What would you advise about dealing with the big poultry diseases..like Mareks or something similar?

This would be my take on dealing with something like this: I'd kill any birds with obvious symptoms that didn't clear up within a day or two. Any that were exposed but didn't show symptoms would be my keepers. Any who may be carriers but didn't react in a symptomatic way would be my keepers. Then I'd explore ways to keep my flock's immune systems from being compromised like that again...breed for hardiness, create a balanced environment that discourages easy disease transmission and pathogen growth, promote healthy feed systems by free ranging on good pasture/forage areas and cull any birds that didn't thrive on this system.

What I wouldn't do: Medicate. Disinfect any equipment or premises. Try to "save" obviously ill birds. Carry on with the management that I had been using previously that created conditions/birds that fell ill so easily. Increase my knowledge base and skill on chicken husbandry by studying those who manage to keep healthy flocks without relying on medications, regular dewormings, quarantines, etc.

Just wanted to say thanks to all of the OTs for keeping this thread alive.

I've lurked here quite often since the beginning. Very informative to say the least.

Bee, Al, Fred, MFB, Fowlman, Marshall Family and others have made this thread a treat. Just good down to earth info that makes sense.

As a true new guy I had my experience with three broodies back to back in a 6X4 raised coop. Nerve racking at first but with some success we made it thru. Wasn't perfect. Finally I had to pull the nest box out of the coop. And left it out. They lay in the same spot and have an alternate spot. (Only talking about five layers).

After the broody wars, three came up with fowl pox. That was interesting. Two BOs and the Brahma roo.

Here are my thoughts on this.

#1 broody had a successful hatch. #2 and #3 went broody in the hottest time of the summer. Not so successful. Very diminished when we cut it off, both came up with FP. Make sense? I am basing that thought on a very wet summer for us and our ground has a propensity to hold water, very slow draining and the skeeters are rough this year.

They are back to laying normally and then some. The scabs from the FP are sloughing off.

All of that being said, I have to concur that chicks hatched from broodies are in fact very street smart. They are light years ahead of their parents who came from the hatchery.

Did lose one pullet to an unknown pred. But the rest of the group are very saavy. They seem to get it. Way smarter than their parents were at this age.

Comments?

Dave

bee i agree with you. i would also cull. this person is going through some bad emotional times. she is also attached to them birds. i have never had this issue or no anyone who has. so i am just trying to give good suggestions to her. my recommendation as of now is to start acv and yogort. just trying to re-culture bowels and such for nutrient uptake. i advised not to clean anything til at least the symptoms are gone. i told her too p.m you. however i advised of your practices. i don't have all the answers but i try to find who does. i also said stop informing others that have no idea that a rooster does not lay eggs and " help emergency" my 3 week old girl is not laying could she be egg bound.
opinions from people who don't know is more dangerous than the illness.

this poor woman has been ridiculed to death on some other threads. was kinda told you should have no pets at all. that advise i assume came from someone who got 3 chickens from my pet chicken last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom