Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My GP/lab mix was acquired from a farm that had kept her tied to a 5 ft. chain for a year. Prior to that, they had gotten her at the pound. We calculate she might have been 5-6 years old when we got her. We had her for 8 years and she never gave us an ounce of worry. Fully trained, pet quality though still loyal to her flocks and guarded them well, socialized to family life, good to go on all things. Excellent service as a LGD, couldn't ask for better.

Would she have stayed out on large pasture with a herd or flock, away from family life? Probably not if we were outside in the yard, probably so if we were inside the house. But since I didn't need that level of protection and only had her on an acre, it worked out lovely.

That is exactly what the breeder told us. He has Boer goats on vast pastures. He said they come running when he pulls up every evening to check the herd, but only because he has their evening rations. He can handle them, but they prefer not to be touched. They are outdoors in all weathers, taking shelter only when the goats do. There are several loafing sheds around for shade and shelter for the herd, and dogs. What I have read about them only reinforced my leanings toward them, and not the Great Pyrenees. My mother in law's G.P. was pretty much the same way with everyone except her. She always gave visitors a wide berth, keeping a wary eye on them. Even my kids never could touch her. But, she was the only one of all the neighbors that did not lose goats. When the children's chickens were killed, the dog could not get to the area where the attack occurred. By the time she dug under the gate and assaulted the culprits, it was too late for the chickens, and she was cut up pretty badly, requiring vet care. she was an outstanding dog that went with the goat herd when they were sold. My mother in law put her with baby goats when she was about 12 weeks old, and she never left them. I am hoping when we get our Anatolian in 3 weeks that she will imprint on the poultry, because I feel they are more vulnerable than the goats. I could be wrong. But the man said, that she would probably imprint on one or the other, and if we wanted a guard dog for the goats, we should get 2 puppies, and keep them separated. Can't make up my mind, though, whether this is a fact, or whether he he just wanted to sell us another pup! Ha!

Here is a fellow that is at most Texas poultry shows. He will help anyone! Goes with his job title. He is Sam Brush, President of the American Poultry Association. Sam is a super nice fellow and loves helping novice folks get started in the Fancy. Even Walt likes him! Look him up and he will either assist or point you to someone who can.

Just beware, Sam thinks Buff Leghorn bantams, Naked Neck bantams and Cubalayas are the best breeds. He may even sell you some Naked Necks. Sam is also on BYC at https://www.backyardchickens.com/u/2793/sbrush88

20251_100504683315735_2902242_n.jpg

That's interesting. Most vets probably wouldn't advocate for a homeopathic solution, would they? I've never had a dog of mine with hot spots but they say that NuStock is exceptionally good for that...now I have another trick in the pocket with the ACV spritz. I'll have to keep that in mind!
Listerine works too!

Here is a fellow that is at most Texas poultry shows. He will help anyone! Goes with his job title. He is Sam Brush, President of the American Poultry Association. Sam is a super nice fellow and loves helping novice folks get started in the Fancy. Even Walt likes him! Look him up and he will either assist or point you to someone who can.

Just beware, Sam thinks Buff Leghorn bantams, Naked Neck bantams and Cubalayas are the best breeds. He may even sell you some Naked Necks. Sam is also on BYC at https://www.backyardchickens.com/u/2793/sbrush88

20251_100504683315735_2902242_n.jpg
Nice Buff Leghorn too!

About guard dogs in general___they are meant to GUARD___ don"t expect to get a marshmallow personality. You need to be an experienced dog person who can handle such an animal and be a leader, or things won't be good. I agree about GP and the problems with the hair coat, having seen a few who didn't have coat care. Horrible messes! Very few of us have the space or fencing to safely have a totally outdoor Anatolian, IMO. Mary

"If you are acquiring an Anatolian Shepherd for the purpose of flock guarding, the dog should not be treated as a family pet and should live its entire life outdoors with its flock." How true is that statement?
That is the general concensus however. We drove to Arkansas to get two Anatolians, which we are absolutely sold on. The male we picked was quite aloof did not desire to be petted, he was several months old at the time. We frankly picked him for his coloration but were told he was going to be an excellant guardian and demonstrated the attitude we should look for in a flock guard dog. We also picked a female she was younger about 8 weeks and very much wanted our attention. Brought them both home and socialized them as we have our other dogs. They went every where with us for the first year and slept in the house. At about nine months the female no longer wanted to sleep in the house, she did not want to be in her kennel. We started locking her in the chicken enclosure during the day. We would bring her into the house in the afternoon/evening when we got home for some family time and to eat. By 9:00 o'clock she would go to the door to get out at which time we put her back with the chickens. She has turned into a fabulous flock guardian! The aloof male won't let my wife get out of the room without checking on her. I believe he has taking to guarding her and the house instead of the flock. When we decide to have puppies we intend for them to be born with the flock and grow up there. One caution on these dogs .... they do not respect fences. You must have a tall well built fence if you expect them to stay in the yard.

I wanted to be sure and state the way we have raised our Anatolians is not the recommended practice. We currently live on just three acres and they have no problem going under or over the fence. With several hundred acres behind us they have expanded their territory a bit and we had to reign them in. The neighbors will shoot dogs. So, our dogs have not been left with the herd or other stock as we initially intended. Even so we are very happy with this breed. We will be moving to 26 acres in a year or so. The neighbor there currently has two GP running with his goats/sheep/cattle. They seem to do an excellant job and meet us at our shared fence line whenever we are there. I wonder what is going to transpire when we move with our dogs. The 4-5' goat wire fence won't keep ours in as they can easily clear that if they choose to. While these dogs behave well for us they are not your typical hous guard dog. They do not respond to commands in the same manner as say a lab or rotty or german sheperd. I can't wait for the day we have a hundred acres and these dogs can live as intended.

Another good site is http://www.lgd.org/ . If you are seriously considering training 2 puppies simultaneously, please read the stories of the Daemon sisters first. You may be able to find an LGD who needs a new home from a rescue operation, including petfinder.com.
My mother in law did TONS of rescue, and with all due respect for people that do, we would never entertain the idea of someone else's cast offs to guard our livestock or chickens. They may be great, and do a great job. I'm sure they are out there. But we are inexperienced, and will train our own "mistakes" if they turn out to be that. A rescue may be in our future for a pet, but not a guardian.

Brie

I would. That's all I've ever had to guard my livestock..someone's unwanted dogs. I wouldn't have traded them for all the purebred pups in the world! Best dogs anyone could ever have.

Last edited:
Let me clarify my earlier post. I most certainly did NOT mean to imply that a big, white, rescued dog which appeared to be of livestock guarding ancestry, should be entrusted with anyone's flock. I apologize to anyone who thought I meant that. What I meant was that sometimes known, proven, trustworthy LGDs end up in a rescue operation after their flocks are sold and they have nothing to guard and no where to go. Jim is entirely correct in his points about farm inspections and contracts. And all the fence climbing/hole digging/escaping problems are present in my dogs, too. My Great Pyrs get out of my 4 foot fence anytime they want to, but come back home on their own, too. The Anatolian can climb a cattle panel faster than I can, and we have had to retrieve him from neighbors over a mile away. The Anatolian does come home, but the goober can't seem to figure out how to get back inside the fence. I still love the goof ball, and he has certainly stopped the problems we had with 2 legged varmints bothering my livestock.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Angela

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom