Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
black star problem. i raise them. great egg layers of brown eggs. when is the last time she laid an egg? she should lay around 4- 5 times a week at her age.
she is to young to molt. my first thought is egg bound. if she is egg bound that is a problem. it can be fixed. my second thought is parasites.
What can be done for a hen that's eggbound? Also, wouldn't the rest of the flock have the parasites too?

What can be done for a hen that's eggbound? Also, wouldn't the rest of the flock have the parasites too?

It is tough stuff dealing with these modern layers sometimes. They've been bred, by the industry, to lay quickly, lay heavy and lay large. The genetics have been pushed and pushed hard, in my experience with them. Reproductive issues is the result. Ovarian cancer is studied by using hens, as I understand it, as the chickens today have this issue in spades. Ascites, interior body infections, etc. It is sad to see one of your best young hens afflicted. The real life "cures" are not that helpful, but they include relaxing the bird in a tub of warm water, in hopes that she'll pass whatever is stuck in her tract. Lubing a finger and GENTLY swapping the vent can sometimes produce a find of something like a bit of shell. Be careful and don't go too deep.

Some folks pay a Vet a lot of money, hundreds of dollars, only to discover that despite the anti-biotic treatments, X-rays, etc, there is actually little long term "cures". Even if the hen should temporarily "recover", the outlook just isn't good, I'm sorry to say. An agricultural approach is to have slightly more hens than one needs so that the inevitable losses and culls don't hurt as bad. This approach doesn't work well with a pet point of view, as the such a person may only have 2 or 3 birds in the first place and the loss of one is traumatic.

I wouldn't worry about her...time takes care of a lot of things. I'd stop dosing her and dousing her with chemicals, though....I wouldn't feel too good either if I had all that put into my system.
I have a similar situation with my 2 year old BOs. One egg from 4 girls a day IF I am lucky. Have tried making nutritional changes and still hasn't really helped. A couple days ago I saw a pile of those long thin worms in someone's droppings. (This is the second time in a year). I treated with Piperazine (that's all I can find around here) Three girls have been on the nest at one time today--something I havent' seen before, but still only one egg. They are not eggbound and they all seem a bit more chipper after the worming. Will need to do it again according to directions. I know you and others don't believe in worming --even when you see a pile of the things? I am hoping it is worms that are the reason for low egg production. It's been cool and very wet for awhile. Any comments from an old timer would be appreciated and yes I know BOs don't have the best reputation for production. They are pets--won't cull, but I am teachable.
thank you!

Edited because the author sounded like a complete chicken turd. Sorry folks...I'm working on it and trying to do better.
hide.gif

Last edited:
Well, I have a disaster that I need advice on. My bantam house has been taken over by red wasps. I've been stung twice with the last sting being worse than the first. My neck is so swore from the sting I can hardly move it. I don't know what to do about the wasps. I can't see where the nest is and I couldn't get to it even if I knew where it was (I would be swarmed by wasps before I could get to it). The bantam house is three stories tall so it isn't a simple task. Is there any way to kill these wasps without being stung to death? Or should I just sell the bantams and say to hell with it? The hens are temporarily moved into the broody pen but there isn't enough room for all of them. I want an honest opinion. What would you wise old timer's do?

Please forgive me for sounding so impatient, bossy and unreasonable. There really isn't a good excuse for it and I apologize, Attila. I let my feelings get away from me when it comes to this subject but, in the end, it's just chickens. Nothing to get all worked up about. I'm sorry.

Please forgive me for sounding so impatient, bossy and unreasonable. There really isn't a good excuse for it and I apologize, Attila. I let my feelings get away from me when it comes to this subject but, in the end, it's just chickens. Nothing to get all worked up about. I'm sorry.

hugs.gif

black star issue. i agree with al. the industry has breed birds for egg production. it is only through mans greed as to why. people want eggs eggs and more eggs.peolple are not happy with 3-4 eggs a week people want 7 eggs a week. people care more about production then than the longevity and health of the bird.
i keep hatchery birds. i like them a lot . they are first year pullets. some people would flip out with the production of them. 12 are of laying age. i am getting 4 eggs a day the most i have ever got is 5. i have hatchery rhode island reds, black sex link, easter eggers, and clombian rock cross.

that is my soap box for the day.

so now for the problem of the black star. egg binding can be a 1 time thing or a lifetime issue. as al has said get a dish tub fill with warm water soak the bird in it relaxing her muscles to pass the egg. the other option is stick your lubed finger in the vent manipulating the egg gently. try not to break the egg. breaking an egg sets up a whole lot of issues.

if it is egg binding and it only happens one time ok. if it becomes an issue my suggestion is cull the bird. she will always be sick. sorry it is my opinion

i would check for parasite infestation first. if she has them, yes the whole flock will have them. however the parasites start from somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom