Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a product at my local feed store. It is 30% protein and you mix it in your feed - also has probiotics for digestion. My turkeys and chickens seem to only eat what they need of it, so if I add too much they leave it in feeder. It comes in a big plastic bag- I think it has "kibbles" in the name of product. A handfull added to a coffee can of pellets seems to work. Had the bag 3 months and only half way thru it.

bruceh, I took a tip from some show breeders and started adding Calf Mana to my layer and grower, ain't cheap but really seems to be working, even the girls nearing molt have a nice sheen, layers are producing well,,

or,,,,,if you are buying from a mill I would for sure ask the locals advice,,,,,,,my local mill guys are hard headed and told me I didn't need it,,,,,or they didn't want to mess with it,,,sure if I bought in 1 ton quantities they would reconsider

i need to up my protein levels some. i like my layer mash and grower mash. has lots of good stuff. just missing something not sure what. it is all 16% i would like to get is a little higher in protein .around 18%. for my situation i think it would be best to try for a while to see what happens.

i also have the cornish x for meat. so i would like to up the grower to 19%

i have looked at the other threads but dang to many people mixing up the thread. i just want a simple additive to up protein levels.

the layers seem to be just missing something. they look good laying is not the best but they are first year pullets only been laying for a very short time some not laying yet.

to me they just have a skip in their step.
Try feeding some Calf Manna to up your protein and vitamins plus minerals. I've fed it for years. A little goes a long way. I add a handful to a pen of 8 birds once a day. See my page for the results. The proof is in the pudding.

Can you add soybean meal to their mash? That would up your protein, but I don't know how you'd tell the percentage. I don't know - just a thought.
hu.gif

Pearson's Square makes it pretty easy:

http://msucares.com/pubs/publications/p2632.html

or there's always good old tedious algebra. ;)

Try feeding some Calf Manna to up your protein and vitamins plus minerals. I've fed it for years. A little goes a long way. I add a handful to a pen of 8 birds once a day. See my page for the results. The proof is in the pudding.
But....what if one wanted to add protein without using soy?
hide.gif
And, in particular, from an animal source?

I understand the hatred of wasps, I wouldn't want a nest near where I needed to work or be either, but they are a highly effective insect preditor and a gardeners friend. They do eat spiders, but more importantly they eat most any soft bodied catapiller, read leaf eating, stem cutting plague on humanity! Some hijack the bodies of the large "pillers" like tomato worms lay thier eggs on them allowing thier young to feast on the villian. (I personally like spiders and have tried hard to teach my chickens that spiders are our friends, not food. So far they are refusing to learn that lesson)

thanks to all. dang it i forgot all about calf manna. i even remember asking for it at the mill. i passed on it at the time because it was expensive. well off to the feed mill.

we even talked about it on this thread not to long ago.

ugg !!!
he.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom