Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Bee I think in this case i would do the same, they were your birds you raised them you bred them for what they are today. Your dam skippy I would bring them back around, you'd be crazy not to. Now I did read what they all have and to be honest it's water off a ducks back, no problem easy peezy. You'll have them back doing fine before the first snowfall, put the good mojo on them Bee I am pulling for you.

I think Bee's byc name has been hijacked!

lol.png
You heard right, folks! I am going to nurse some sick birds....but only because they were the best birds in the world, they were my sweet flock of hardy birds, they were my responsibility and I let them down. I have to fix this.

Well Bee I think in this case i would do the same, they were your birds you raised them you bred them for what they are today. Your dam skippy I would bring them back around, you'd be crazy not to. Now I did read what they all have and to be honest it's water off a ducks back, no problem easy peezy. You'll have them back doing fine before the first snowfall, put the good mojo on them Bee I am pulling for you.

Should be able to fix it but it will take time...and these are some geriatric birds, Al! They are almost as old as us in chicken years!
old.gif

We'll see if they can make a come back and still lay afterwards....cause you know I cull for laying. Won't feed a bird that doesn't work....well....maybe for a little while. Just gotta see if this will work.

first and for most bee, i am proud of you.

i have to admit something. no it's not confession. what would i even say forgive me father for i have meat birds.

i have the 32 meat birds. it is freaken getting cold out., 60's day 40's night i have these guys in my brooder in the basement. they are 3 weeks old almost fully feathered.. my other main coop is not done. i have 1 open pen that will hold these guys for another week or 2. it is not really set up for this. i have 2 extra dog houses i put in the pen.
i can run some heat lamps in the dog houses.

anyone got some suggestions. this is my 3 round of meat birds and i only have done them in the spring and summer.

usally they would be outside by now. but once these guys are out they are out. so what you all think.

Last edited:
Thanks, Bruce!
smile.png
Don't go pattin' me on the back too quick...I'm the one that rehomed these birds to a bad place. My fault they are like this right now....bad mistake all around.

I brooded my meaties this spring when it was that cold outside in the open air coop, Bruce. I used hay bales to form the brooder walls, capped it with some pieces of plywood, attached the light to the plywood, put down a deep layer of chips and let them be. And that was with day olds. They were fine....CX are naturally hot blooded and don't seem to get chilled like regular chicks. They just lump together around the lamp but more often they don't get directly under but off to the side....they don't need as much heat. Their little bodies are like little hot pockets fresh out of the microwave!

Thanks, Bruce!
smile.png
Don't go pattin' me on the back too quick...I'm the one that rehomed these birds to a bad place. My fault they are like this right now....bad mistake all around.

I brooded my meaties this spring when it was that cold outside in the open air coop, Bruce. I used hay bales to form the brooder walls, capped it with some pieces of plywood, attached the light to the plywood, put down a deep layer of chips and let them be. And that was with day olds. They were fine....CX are naturally hot blooded and don't seem to get chilled like regular chicks. They just lump together around the lamp but more often they don't get directly under but off to the side....they don't need as much heat. Their little bodies are like little hot pockets fresh out of the microwave!
thanks bee. don't beat yourself up about the birds. your intentions were good. we have no control over other peoples actions. be grateful they were placed back in your hands.
i don't think it is anything good management, proper nutrition and tlc won't fix. it is pumpkin season.

I heard that!!
smack.gif
big_smile.png
Leave y'all alone for a few days and my name is being impugned! Tsk! Tsk!
old.gif

I can't believe you just smacked me! On your other tree hugger thread, I gave you the diplomatic sweet mushy answer you were looking for. Here on the OT site.... I will offer to come visit you in W by God Va. and cull them for you if you can't do the deed....
wink.png

Before you crucify me people for giving some flack to your leader, read what I wrote on the other thread. I call it my duality. I am a Gemini.

Bee, after following this board since it's beginning I have to say I'm not sure your attempt to revive these 7 yr old birds is at all what I would have expected.

IF it works you still have an old flock at best, IF it doesn't how much time and effort will be for naught?

How many times are you going to ask yourself "why?"

IF they do mend, and they don't lay well you plan to cull them? I guess this goes against a lot of what I have learned here and in real life,,,,,

never too old to learn from one's mistakes and move on,,,,,,,

you saved the birds from a slow and painful demise, that is a good thing, now it's time to dispatch them and consider the options for the future,,,,,,

just my .02 as an old timer at raising critters

totally your decision, good luck with whatever you choose

OK - Old Timers! Bryan brought home some almost grown silkie chicks because I wanted some to set eggs next spring (in case I bomb out with the incubator). I have put them in cages in the back yard because something just didn't look right about them, and I didn't want them around the others until I could give them the once over for lice, mites, or what have you. One little hen kind of "gags"
for lack of a better word. Not exactly a cough. So I caught her up this morning and looked under her wings, around her comb and eyes and legs and vent. No bugs, but she has something growing in the mouth and throat, and even out one nostril. It is yellowish and spongy. At first I thought it was just packed feed because I could clean it out with a q-tip, but on closer inspection, a couple of the others have it too. I'm thinking these birds need to go see their maker, but does anyone have an idea what this might be?

I will be very cautious about cross contamination w/ our other birds, for sure!

Thanks,
Brie
It could possibly be gapeworm too-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom