Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always been a bit different with my kids and the naming of the food animals. We always tried to come up with names that suit their personality and we don't avoid giving them extra attention, just like all our other animals. Food animals have the same quirky personalities and beauty as the "pet" ones and so we just accepted that fact and rolled with it. It didn't make it any harder to butcher them later, as there was always one or the other of us that weren't quite so emotionally involved and could do the deed.

The only one I could not do was my ram lamb, Mo Fats...he was just one of those sweety, moochy sheep that always wanted to have his head on you and wanting to be close to the shepherd, though he was not bottle fed or coddled in any way. My boys didn't have the same relationship with him, so they butchered him while I was at work. It's not always easy but I tend to develop natural attachments to some animals, not so much to others....but if they were raised for food, they all go the same route in the end.

Such is life and I embrace the heartache of killing certain animals the same as I embrace the loving of those same animals. Makes everything you do so much more real and alive when you have those contrasts in life.
If you've ever fed out a beef steer for your table, you'll understand this...The steer is locked up in a small pen or stall for at least 3-6 weeks to get the grass out of them, and the good corn in them. You go in two times a day to feed and water said beastie. After about a week of being smashed up against the walls, hit with a mucky tail,tromped on,and run over, you can eat that sucker with a rusty knife and fork. Not so with the birds, or pigs, who always work on your feelings.

Yes, those type of food animal episodes are much easier. The last heifer we butchered had an appropriate name...Hitch. Named after the horse Captain Call was breaking on Lonesome Dove that took a big ol' bite out of his hip...Hell B****..shortened simply to Hitch.

This reminds me of growing up with a flock of sheep. Every year we had a dozen or so lambs, hauled them off to market and kept one for our own table. We always named them, and one year 'Snowy' was the keeper. So mom would call us for dinner....."Kids! Dinner!! We're having Snowy-burgers!"
lol.png
Never gave it a second thought as a kid, but now it does seem a little....I dunno...twisted?

Forgot to add: Sorry this quote is from HUNDREDS of pages ago. I'm leisurely reading it all from the beginning
caf.gif
....maybe I'll be caught up by next fall :)
I don't think I'll ever catch up...

where are they being booded? any light bulb should work. does not have to be red. it also does not have to be 95 degress. they do need to be kept warm.

in my dining area in a modified plastic storage bin. There are only 6 this time. :)

they are in your home, then i assume the temps in your house is around 72. the plastic tub is warm. put down some pine shavings with the food and water feeders in the tub. put a light over the tub. they should be fine. if you here constant chirppping , they are to cold. with 6 in a tub they should gererate good warmth.

I'd tell her, "Sorry about your luck!" and keep the eggs out of the fridge and eat them yourself. If she cannot be educated about the whole where eggs come from thingy, then she doesn't get to eat the goodness of your labors.
big_smile.png

Once you start disinfecting eggs, you've ruined the whole purpose of having "fresh" eggs in the first place and you might as well just cut to the chase, save yourself the work and expense, and just buy them from the store...where they have big recalls on eggs tainted with salmonella. The salmonella that is tainting these recalled eggs is on the inside of the egg, not on the shell. Unless she is counting on your having horribly unhealthy chickens and then eating the actual shells, she shouldn't be in any danger of getting the dreaded salmonella.

You're married to her...don't take the easy way out, man! Take the time to educate the woman!
big_smile.png

Here, let her watch exactly from whence her "safe" store bought eggs come:
Thank you for sharing the video. It brought tears to my eyes but I'm glad to be informed. I've often wanted to start a chicken house business. If I were to, the chickens would be rotated on a field in front of each house and a field behind each house to free range on during the day and would recieve much better treatment. It would still be profitable. I feel like there is a need for better sources to buy eggs and meat from. There's a catch to it though. If I have chicken houses, how can I breed and raise quality stock to the standard of perfection, show, and sell? It is a law as far as I know that chicken houses can not be kept on the same property as someone's personal chickens. Even if I had the chicken houses on another property, I would be a hazard to my own chickens if I was managing the chicken houses. Any ideas or opinions on this?

Thank you for sharing the video. It brought tears to my eyes but I'm glad to be informed. I've often wanted to start a chicken house business. If I were to, the chickens would be rotated on a field in front of each house and a field behind each house to free range on during the day and would recieve much better treatment. It would still be profitable. I feel like there is a need for better sources to buy eggs and meat from. There's a catch to it though. If I have chicken houses, how can I breed and raise quality stock to the standard of perfection, show, and sell? It is a law as far as I know that chicken houses can not be kept on the same property as someone's personal chickens. Even if I had the chicken houses on another property, I would be a hazard to my own chickens if I was managing the chicken houses. Any ideas or opinions on this?
erin,
i am sorry you don't live closer. that was my dream as well.

I thought the chicken house thing being so far away from personal flocks was only if you contracted to Tyson or one of the big guys.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing the video. It brought tears to my eyes but I'm glad to be informed. I've often wanted to start a chicken house business. If I were to, the chickens would be rotated on a field in front of each house and a field behind each house to free range on during the day and would recieve much better treatment. It would still be profitable. I feel like there is a need for better sources to buy eggs and meat from. There's a catch to it though. If I have chicken houses, how can I breed and raise quality stock to the standard of perfection, show, and sell? It is a law as far as I know that chicken houses can not be kept on the same property as someone's personal chickens. Even if I had the chicken houses on another property, would be a hazard to my own chickens if I was managing the chicken houses. Any ideas or opinions on this? 

I bet Fred has the answer to this one.

Very sad, huh? All for quantity. There is something sadly wrong with our world today...

If you had your big chicken houses on another property, couldn't you use coveralls, masks, caps, golves & boots? Just cover up and use some common sense procedures, disrobe before you leave? Shower upon arrival home THEN go to your heritage flock. Lot of trouble, but it could be done. And aren't we lucky to have such conveniences these days as showers? I used these kinds of precautions when I had those sick silkies at the house to try to keep from spreading infection from them to our good stock. It was a bit of a pain, but worth not infecting our good stuff. I'm sure you'd get it down to a science after a few days! Hospitals use paper infection control gowns and jumpsuits treated w/ antimicrobial solutions.

Brie

Very sad, huh? All for quantity. There is something sadly wrong with our world today...

If you had your big chicken houses on another property, couldn't you use coveralls, masks, caps, golves & boots? Just cover up and use some common sense procedures, disrobe before you leave? Shower upon arrival home THEN go to your heritage flock. Lot of trouble, but it could be done. And aren't we lucky to have such conveniences these days as showers? I used these kinds of precautions when I had those sick silkies at the house to try to keep from spreading infection from them to our good stock. It was a bit of a pain, but worth not infecting our good stuff. I'm sure you'd get it down to a science after a few days! Hospitals use paper infection control gowns and jumpsuits treated w/ antimicrobial solutions.

Brie
The SC state NPP vet was just here. She is the "Biosecurity Queen"! She arrived here with a complete biosecurity suit, hair cap, gloves, and rubber boots. She told me that she had had chickens for years, but could no longer have them due to her biosecurity rules. Everything is scrubbed with Oxine before and after coming here. New jumpsuit, hair covering, gloves, for the next farm etc.The devil is in the details. I was raised by a RN, and know sterile technique, but this gal was impressive in her technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom