Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old but not an OT, newbie chicken keeper with lots of hawks around. We strung fishing line circus-tent-fashion from a tree in the chicken yard to the fence surrounding it. Can't tell you that it works for sure, but a couple days ago a big old hawk flew over the yard and coop, only a couple feet above the lines. But that was cool -- above the lines.

Hi! Almost a year ago I put up fishing line over my coop. Looks like a giant spider web. I had hawks and owls getting to my girls. Knock on wood, since I put the 'web' up, I haven't had any more deaths. I do check it periodically to make sure it is still taut.

Lisa :)

Okay now tell me how to get those cute icons to where I can use them.
smile.png
http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys_feelings.html
THanks to Bee.. there is the lik to the cool Smileys!
foryou.gif

Last edited:
Hi! Almost a year ago I put up fishing line over my coop. Looks like a giant spider web. I had hawks and owls getting to my girls. Knock on wood, since I put the 'web' up, I haven't had any more deaths. I do check it periodically to make sure it is still taut.

Lisa :)
The nice thing about monofilament line tenting instead of netting is that leaves and trash from trees fall through it. Bird netting sags terribly when the leaves get tangled in it. I do also have bird netting over many bushes in my tented orchard. Just in case... One large red shouldered female, and an eagle above us today. Nobody came calling, but Monty took everybody to cover. Good boy for a 7 month old cockerel !

I highlighted some questions and points in your post that I will address. I invite other OTs to chime in because this is just MY take on the situation.

Question #1. There are many ways to fatten up a chicken but I think the most important thing is to find out why they are not in good condition in the first place. Not correcting that problem and just adding more fats and proteins to the diet is just throwing money down the toilet. Any reasonably healthy bird should stay in good condition on free range and regular laying ration feed, no matter the actual fat content in the mix. Correct that original problem and they should just fatten up on what you are feeding...if the rest of the flock stay fat on it, why not this bird?

#2. Yes. Sometimes mites will be on some of the chickens but not all. This can eventually change the longer the mites are present in any chicken in your flock until they are all infested.

#3. Some high fat feed formulas will tell the recommended feeding ratio on the bag like Calf Manna Pro. Not sure, but I assume the rest are the same. You can add fats to their diet with regular cooking oils, suet, bacon grease, lard, etc. and just give it in small amounts at first and see how your flock tolerates it. The people who show can best advise you on how to put more fat and conditioning into chickens but it still won't help much if you don't get rid of the source of their problem.

Points in the post:

I'm not a fan of nor have ever used the DE, so cannot reliably discourse on the merits or lack thereof, but can tell you that plain old wood ashes dusted deeply into the skin of all my flock had most of the flock mite free within a few days, with a second application getting the remaining three still having them. I also combined this with applying NuStock on any mite eggs or lice nits at the base of the feathers around the vent.

Give the FF time to work some magic..they've only had it a week, so give it some time to get some probios into their systems and to change the pH and nature of the intestines and their function. Patience is needed when using more natural approaches to care...not like high powered shot or pill.

BOs, when fed plenty of feed, will prefer to eat if from the trough instead of going out and hunting for it. Wrong breed to expect great foraging instincts, though DragonLady has some breeder quality BOs that seem to have retained that natural instinct. If you really want them to forage they have to be a little more hungry....only feeding in the evenings will increase foraging desires, as BOs are used to having their tucker.
tongue.png
The problem with trying to increase the fat and nutrients to the poorly BOs is that it will increase the weight gain on those who are already fluffy..and may lead to digestive or reproductive issues.

I'd add the suet like you are doing, wait for the FF to correct some wrongs, dust with something more effective than DE, use some Nustock as needed and also get some ashes in the nest boxes, NS or neem oil on the roosts. Then start paying attention to coop and soil balance to prevent further infestations.

That's just my take on it....other OTs may present you with more options in treatment. Let us know how it all turns out and what methods you used and the results?
I'm not an OT when it comes to chickens I only had them a little over 3 yrs, but I've had ducks going on 9yrs and when i started with them I read all i could find on care and keeping and one of the things mentioned was using DE well I can honestly say my ducks or geese never had mites or lice but it wasn't because of the DE even though i used if faithfully, it was because they bathe regularly which keep the bugs off, it wasn't until I got chickens that i discovered that DE is worthless in preventing mites or killing them, My chickens got mites, so Don't waste your money on buying DE .

What all do you guys recomend to use for mite prevention? I heard wood ash but I have none of that available. I can make some easily but what are other options. I too do deep litter and would not want to dry out my litter and if there is a smell then that tells you something needs to be corrected. Mine only smells first thing in the morning and then once the coop is opened up the smell goes away.

The only mite prevention that I know is just preventative husbandry/management of the coop and soil environment. When deep litter is balanced it plays host to many beneficial bugs that live off the larvae of parasites, thereby keeping their numbers in check. Keeping the soils healthy, soft and balanced is another area to invite beneficial bugs in your run.

Healthy birds rarely have an over infestation of any kind of parasite, be it external or internal, so keeping them in top health is a preventative measure. The wood ashes are not really a preventative, though they can be a deterrent if used in the nest boxes or when mixed into dusting areas, they are not really a poison of any kind to the bugs.

Wow! Imagine how many you'd have if there weren't any cats....
tongue.png
My dogs would be in hog heaven with that many rabbits to chase! Around this state, the coyotes have increased to the point that we are sadly lacking in small game like rabbits, groundhogs, squirrels, etc. They are just gradually disappearing....

WOW!!! You miss groundhogs?!! In the 5 years we have lived on our property my DH has killed at least 30 or 40 and the darn things keep coming back. We have plenty of coyotes but they sure aren't getting them either. We just can't get rid of the darn things. We don't have a lot of rabbits but plenty of ground squirrels.

Yes...I miss the normal population of small game. The lack thereof speaks of a horrible imbalance in the environment in this region, leaving no game for the hawks, foxes and bobcats to eat. What does that leave that is suitable food for these animals? Chickens.

maidenwolfx80

Did you find any mites on your chickens?
No I didnt find any just wanting to think of ways to prevent it. I just had to worm again, I wormed at eh end of aug and yesterday found tiny tiny tape worms in my turkey hens watery poo
sad.png
So everyone got wormed again. I dont want to have to constantly wormif there is a way to prevent in the first place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom