Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched my flock for a bit this am with bruceh's "rooster qualifications" in mind...I think my guy has potential! (he also does a funny dance for the girls, they're not too impressed yet, but he's only been in business for a week or 2, I believe he's just now 6months old and came from a flock with several other roosters, so I say he's been suppressed and is now liberated!
wee.gif
)
I never noticed till this am how much more looking around he does as opposed to chowing down, like the girls.

In this second pic, the hen on the right that's walking out of frame, that's my skinny/scraggly girl. A few weeks ago all I saw was 'a chicken', now I see rough feathers, a pale comb and no breast meat. Thanks OTs for the education!!
The hen behind her facing the camera is 'Big Momma', she's almost as big as the roo, though I suspect he's got more growing to do.
The one in the middle is my "lavender orpington"
lau.gif
who is obviously blue, not lavender, is half the size of the BOs and also has feathers on her feet... man was I DUMB!
th.gif
Oh well, mistakes are a short cut to learning, right?

Ok, OTs, gota question..... A friend has a homing pigeon that took up residence on her porch and won't leave. She wants me to come rescue her. My concern is, could the pigeons give anything to my chickens? I don't plan on keeping them together, but my chickens free-range, so they may come into contact with the pigeons at some point. Could I make my girls sick by bringing the pigeons in? Thoughts? Advice? Please and thank you in advance!

Last edited:
No more than a wild bird could...I'm not of the belief in wild birds "giving" anything to chickens that free range. Last I checked my flocks didn't sit around rubbing blue birds all over their bodies, so this contact with the wild birds thingy is beyond my powers of comprehension. This bird will only be contributing feces into your coop environment and, with a proper DL system, this shouldn't be a problem at all. If your flock's immune system is what it should be, it shouldn't make any difference. Check it over for mites and general healthy appearances and....

I'd say "Go for it!"

For Bee and others that take out 1 bird at a time...

How do you process your single bird for cooking? I guess what I'm thinking is that processing would be different if you're doing one vs a whole batch.
smiley-confused004.gif

I've never done ANY, so I only have book knowledge. But most of what I've read and watched via video is for doing a large batch at a time.

Anyway... I'd like to hear direction, see photos, etc., for the process for a single if someone is willing to comment.
So glad you asked this. I can't imagine I'll ever do more than 1 or 2 at a time. I'm very visual, like to learn by watching. This was the best video I could find, it's a wild turkey, so they only took the breast but I was able to imagine pulling down the pants, and pulling the jacket off the shoulders.

Watched my flock for a bit this am with bruceh's "rooster qualifications" in mind...I think my guy has potential! (he also does a funny dance for the girls, they're not too impressed yet, but he's only been in business for a week or 2, I believe he's just now 6months old and came from a flock with several other roosters, so I say he's been suppressed and is now liberated!
wee.gif
)
I never noticed till this am how much more looking around he does as opposed to chowing down, like the girls.

In this second pic, the hen on the right that's walking out of frame, that's my skinny/scraggly girl. A few weeks ago all I saw was 'a chicken', now I see rough feathers, a pale comb and no breast meat. Thanks OTs for the education!!
The hen behind her facing the camera is 'Big Momma', she's almost as big as the roo, though I suspect he's got more growing to do.
The one in the middle is my "lavender orpington"
lau.gif
who is obviously blue, not lavender, is half the size of the BOs and also has feathers on her feet... man was I DUMB!
th.gif
Oh well, mistakes are a short cut to learning, right?
just keep watching the flock. watch all the interactions. you will get the feel for the dynamics. i don't know your flock. through the pictures he looks on par with mine. just watch his confidence and manners. just my 2 cents. what are your goals of the flock ?

i would love to see a close up of blue feather foot. like to try to figure out what the bird is.

Last edited:
From a breeders point of view, this rooster watching may be vastly different, so be aware that the viewpoints expressed here are more geared towards a backyard utility flock and not necessarily for SOP or towards high production layer flocks. For more on choosing roosters based on conformation with an eye for good laying genetics or meat, please visit the Heritage Thread or ask Al, Walt or Fred about how they choose a rooster, as they are more attuned to proper builds for roosters and not just for the show aspect of it. I look for how my roosters will help my flock survive free ranging and for propagating good dual purpose genetics and not necessarily for what is truly important for improving the overall flock's looks and laying performance.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/400344/heritage-large-fowl-thread

From a breeders point of view, this rooster watching may be vastly different, so be aware that the viewpoints expressed here are more geared towards a backyard utility flock and not necessarily for SOP or towards high production layer flocks. For more on choosing roosters based on conformation with an eye for good laying genetics or meat, please visit the Heritage Thread or ask Al, Walt or Fred about how they choose a rooster, as they are more attuned to proper builds for roosters and not just for the show aspect of it. I look for how my roosters will help my flock survive free ranging and for propagating good dual purpose genetics and not necessarily for what is truly important for improving the overall flock's looks and laying performance.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/400344/heritage-large-fowl-thread
very well put bee. i was hesitant on even posting the response.. i was looking at the first picture of her flock with general mannerisms i think i may have spoke out of line on this one. i apologize for any mis information. .

When choosing among cockerels for the heritage lines, we look almost entirely at conformation, ie, body type, faithful to the breed standard, because remember, we're breeding to an objective standard. Of course, I am also looking for intelligence, grace and leadership. But most cockerels shouldn't be judged too harshly until they are a year old, imho. Youngsters can fool you.

It isn't all that much different on the utility side. But, now the criteria is not the SOP, but the needs of the program and desires of the breeder.

On the utility side, it all depends on where we are going with the utility program at the time. What is it our birds really need that this particular or that particular rooster may contribute to the next round or two of off spring?

Sometimes you just don't need yet another tall rooster, or one with a high held tail or whatever. These birds either get sold or eaten. Intelligence and disposition are very important to me in selecting both pullets and cockerels. I don't have a need for a whole bunch of roosters. Just those that "fit the bill".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom