Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! Cool! (Field-dressing a chicken.) I never, ever would have guessed that that's how you do it.

On graphic: my daughter has collected interesting wild animal bones from a very young age. When two deer were hit by a car not far down the road, she kept track of the decomposition process for nearly a year, then harvested the clean skulls.

Also, even though I grew up in Plastic World, I did learn how to cut up a supermarket chicken from my mom, amd from watching Julia Child on TV.

Thanks!

Last edited:
That's pretty much how I did it. Thanks for the vids....don't know why I didn't think to check out YouTube.

I had a "mishap" on one of them....I tore the intestine right near the vent. I cut around it good, but I guess I "pulled" too hard. I didn't sweat it, just pinched it off with one hand while raking the innards with the other. They culls were really young, will the intestine be "tougher" when they get older?

Sometimes, sometimes not. Depends on how old they are...as they get really old, they start to deteriorate and the gut tissues become more friable, or fragile, once again in some areas. The joints and connective tissue gets tougher as they age, though.

Wow! Cool! (Field-dressing a chicken.) I never, ever would have guessed that that's how you do it.
On graphic: my daughter has collected interesting wild animal bones from a very young age. When two deer were hit by a car not far down the road, she kept track of the decomposition process for nearly a year, then harvested the clean skulls.
Also, even though I grew up in Plastic World, I did learn how to cut up a supermarket chicken from my mom, amd from watching Julia Child on TV.
Thanks!

You'd be surprised at how many women, even those who live on farms out in the country, who have never cut up even a store bought chicken in their lives...and these women are my age and older. We live in a very accessible age where everything is done for us. That is why even the older generation have become to think that mushy store bought chicken is the "norm" for tenderness and that home raised DP birds are "tough" when they just have more density and texture than the store bought mush one can buy all these past years.

People have become too lazy to chew...just look at how many hard candies have switched over to "gummy" versions of their former selves and all the gum is now super soft. Remember when gum was hard? I do and I miss those days.

I'm behind on posts so I don't know what the conversations have been about, but I just had to share this moment.....my very first eggs. I have a BR and a RIR that are 22 wks. the rest are 20 wks. I am so proud.

I'm behind on posts so I don't know what the conversations have been about, but I just had to share this moment.....my very first eggs.  I have a BR and a RIR that are 22 wks. the rest are 20 wks. I am so proud.

Chickens and their eggs are a miracle, aren't they? I'm still amazed and excited by each egg I gather.

I just found this chicken. It is obviously from down South but I am not sure how far chicken travel.... and not on the Tyson truck.....

Since Bee names hers and dresses them, I wonder if this is one of hers?

Jules, if this is yours I would appreciate your coming to get it, she is driving my cocks crazy....

I'm behind on posts so I don't know what the conversations have been about, but I just had to share this moment.....my very first eggs. I have a BR and a RIR that are 22 wks. the rest are 20 wks. I am so proud.

love.gif
Perfect! I bet you ARE proud! Nothing like the first eggs..... Tell us how big the yolks are....
pop.gif

I just found this chicken. It is obviously from down South but I am not sure how far chicken travel.... and not on the Tyson truck.....

Jules, if this is yours I would appreciate your coming to get it, she is driving my cocks crazy....

Too darn funny!!

Not one of mine...we like 'em a little more...fluffy..here.
big_smile.png
Mountain girls have to have a little meat on them bones to keep the roosters warm. You can keep them ol' skinny beach chickens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom