Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hen is not doing well today. She has a clear liquid with a tinge of yellow leaking from her vent its just a bit not a lot. She also seems to be slowing down. Ay advice? I have been following advice given by Fred awhile back but it's not doing her any good.

Not one of mine...we like 'em a little more...fluffy..here.
big_smile.png
Mountain girls have to have a little meat on them bones to keep the roosters warm. You can keep them ol' skinny beach chickens.

Both nice lookin chicks! One nice and tan, well done but not burnt, and the other one.... Look at those Breastesses! Ooohhh La La!

My hen is not doing well today. She has a clear liquid with a tinge of yellow leaking from her vent its just a bit not a lot. She also seems to be slowing down. Ay advice? I have been following advice given by Fred awhile back but it's not doing her any good.

Sounds like she has egg material coming out. I'm sorry but a chicken in that state needs to be culled. You can try to treat it but it most likely will just return..it's an abnormal reproductive activity to be egg bound, internal laying, etc. See the posts a few pages ago to see the results of egg peritonitis, which is probably what will eventually be the result of your hen.

If you cull or if she dies from this, could you do a necropsy and show the pics? It's a good learning opportunity for those who delay in culling birds that are not good layers and what can result from it.

Sometimes, sometimes not. Depends on how old they are...as they get really old, they start to deteriorate and the gut tissues become more friable, or fragile, once again in some areas. The joints and connective tissue gets tougher as they age, though.
I guess I need to learn to be a little more gentle when pulling the innards out!
I'm behind on posts so I don't know what the conversations have been about, but I just had to share this moment.....my very first eggs. I have a BR and a RIR that are 22 wks. the rest are 20 wks. I am so proud.
Congrats on the eggs, can't wait til I get my first ones!!
Sounds like she has egg material coming out. I'm sorry but a chicken in that state needs to be culled. You can try to treat it but it most likely will just return..it's an abnormal reproductive activity to be egg bound, internal laying, etc. See the posts a few pages ago to see the results of egg peritonitis, which is probably what will eventually be the result of your hen.

If you cull or if she dies from this, could you do a necropsy and show the pics? It's a good learning opportunity for those who delay in culling birds that are not good layers and what can result from it.
Now you've given me an excuse to buy a camera, in case I have to take pics of a dead chicken!! My cell doesn't do pics, and DH and sons dropped my camera in the ocean this September!!

Bee should we go ahead and kill her or wait? Is she in pain? Since she passed the yolk she seems to have more pep.
This just came out of her it was in the nest box she was sitting in. I talked to my daughter who has been a vet tech off and on for years and we will do a necropsy it wont be professional.

edit to ask what causes this? And will the meat be good or should we just bury her?

Last edited:
I'd kill her and not wait. She may get more pep until the next egg goes through in the same manner. Something is causing her to not form a proper shell around her eggs and though weird shell development can happen at this time of the year, it is not often they are laid completely without a shell altogether. I do not know what causes it but I know it can cause problems if the egg material enters the peritoneum instead of coming out through the oviduct.

Whatever the cause, something is malfunctioning with this chicken and it seems to be a pattern. Waiting will just stave off the inevitable..this chicken won't be one for good, healthy and productive lay. How old is she and what breed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom