Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My uncle used to have a mean rooster too!!! It was really scary...until we got our own roosters and realized they never grow past a certain height and are really cowards at heart. After you learn that as a kid, it all becomes gravy from there on out.
big_smile.png

Well, here they are, my first eggs. The first egg had a dark spot...blood? I know that's normal. The next two were perfect. The white nearest the yolk was thick as I expected, but the outer white was runny. Is that normal? I'm not sure if the yolk would be considered large or not as I have nothing to compare it to.

Sniff...cough... sob!  I'm SO proud!!!  :hit   :weee   :celebrate   :clap   

:D SO proud! 

[COLOR=FF0000]Thanks Bee, you were coaching me through the entire ordeal.[/COLOR]
He may have merely been chasing you for more food.  But, I didn't see it, you did.  I try not to be too overly combative with the young cockerels.  I prefer to watch, watch, watch them.  

[COLOR=FF0000]I may be a little paranoid.  When I was younger, my great uncle had an "attack rooster".  When I heard that thump, thump, thump my mind went back to the days when that sound (in Uncle Leb's yard) was usually followed by a rooster's feet getting tangled in your hair!![/COLOR]
Even if you are being a little paranoid, I've often heard it's best to nip things in the bud and it will ensure no aggression later. And I believe it. I raised one splash boy that, had I not put the absolute fear of God in him, I'm positive would have ended up spurring me every chance he got. He was mean. He was tasty.

What? No store bought eggs in your house with which to compare?
big_smile.png
Just kiddin'... They look pretty normal to me but not overly large in size but that assessment could change if I had something lying next to them for comparison..like a quarter or something. Did you enjoy your first eggs immensely?

Well, here they are, my first eggs. The first egg had a dark spot...blood? I know that's normal. The next two were perfect. The white nearest the yolk was thick as I expected, but the outer white was runny. Is that normal? I'm not sure if the yolk would be considered large or not as I have nothing to compare it to.
Congrats on the eggs!! I'm still waiting!

Oh, and on the subject of mean roosters.....it's not only roosters. I have a mean pullet. I've talked about her before and have been told she isn't aggressive by some on this site, but I strongly disagree. This young girl will come after you and peck hard at your legs or feet and sometimes she'll come and fly up and peck hard at your hands. I'm sure she just wants food, but as far as I'm concerned she has no business being pushy. I've given her a firm push, not hard mind you, but enough to let her know to stop. She stops, but then the next time you go out to the coop, she does the same thing. My grandson is now afraid of chickens because of her, my daughter refuses to go out to the coop, and my youngest granddaughter won't go out there unless I'm with her. Nasty, nasty pullet! And don't tell me that chickens will only do that if they're provoked, and no I don't put my hand in front of her as some suggested. She'll also get in my personal space when I'm in the coop, meaning she'll fly up and perch wherever I'm working and get close and watch my every move. Then pecks my hand hard. This may sound weird, but it seems as though she's saying " hey, where's my treat". I used to give the birds seed or cheese from my hand. I stopped because I thought that was why she was pecking my hand....basically I had conditioned her to relate my hand to food, although the other birds didn't do that. Anyway, regardless, she needs to stop or she'll be finding a new home come Spring.

What? No store bought eggs in your house with which to compare?
big_smile.png
Just kiddin'... They look pretty normal to me but not overly large in size but that assessment could change if I had something lying next to them for comparison..like a quarter or something. Did you enjoy your first eggs immensely?
Oh, man, I didn't think of putting a quarter next to them. Too late, they made simply delicious breakfast sandwiches, bacon, egg, and cheese on fresh biscuits right out of the oven. Mmmm, so good. And I caught my RIR in the act this morning. I was a bit early and caught her in the nesting box. Now I know for sure who is laying.

I killed a nasty hen like that the other day, except she was nasty to her flockmates instead of me. I'd never tolerate one doing it to me for longer than 2 seconds...she definitely needs a good training or a good killin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom