Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's very likely the light.

First, I do not buy into the whole 14-16 hours of light quoted as if brought down from Sinai on many threads.  That's fine if you wish to push no account layers you're gonna process at the 2 year mark anyhow.  Nothing wrong with that.  But, if you want to split the difference between Au Natural, ie, doing nothing and the "light 'em up" approach, just add a couple hours of pre-dawn light.  You'll likely be amazed.  First year pullets don't often need much help, but if you add an hour or two of light, they'll lay very, very well.

Birds that are in moult, are going to take a break and I want them to take a break.  After they've taken most of October thru December off, recharged, re-grown their new feathers then they too get the 2 hours of pre-dawn light, especially since I probably intend for these birds to begin laying eggs for February hatching.

Thanks. I only have three hens, lost 5 to coyotes earlier this year. Two molted early and completed regrowth about a month ago, one is just now regrowing her tail feathers. One of the early molters actually laid through her molt and was the last to quit as things slowed down, I was happy to see her take a break... Just not these younger freeloaders! :p

I did actually have a chicken question
tongue.png
. Back in chickens a few years, mixed mostly hatchery layer flock of 16 hens and pullets. I switched to a 19-20% all purpose poultry feed mid/late summer when I integrated everyone, easier than worrying about multiple types of feed. They also get oyster shell on the side, which they barely touch, all our kitchen scraps and all day free range (lots of greens to be found). Everyone is healthy, bright eyed, active, etc. But over the last month egg production has dropped to zero. Nothing in over a week. Actually thought something might be stealing eggs but I put a couple in the boxes and two days later they are still there. So is it just the shorter days or could it be too much protein? I just didn't expect the first year pullets stop laying completely.
edited to add - meant to say I did also rule out hidden nests, locked them in the run for a few days, and no egg eaters, roll out nest boxes.

Probably what Fred said...but kind of odd to get absolutely zero out of 16 birds. Should be at least one or two birds dropping one here and there.

It may sound far fetched but I've heard of folks having rats stealing eggs this time of year. Got rodent problems at all? Any human preds in the area who would relieve you of your eggs?

I never get too disturbed by a drop in egg production this time of year....like Fred, I just expect it between Sept and Dec and don't try to do much about it. Everyone needs a slow down in the winter, why not these hard workin' gals?

We use a .22 rifle for our critter gitter and a 16 gauge with slug and/or shot for closer work. Simple, little to no kickage, easy and light weight enough for a woman to use while still giving good accuracy if you get the right gun. They are easy to find, cheap to buy, the ammo is easy to find and also in a good price range.

What kind of range on a .22? And...specifically what would you use the shot gun for and what would be the range there? (There are neighbors not too far on most sides so I have to be careful not to over-shoot by much.)

I did actually have a chicken question :p . Back in chickens a few years, mixed mostly hatchery layer flock of 16 hens and pullets. I switched to a 19-20% all purpose poultry feed mid/late summer when I integrated everyone, easier than worrying about multiple types of feed. They also get oyster shell on the side, which they barely touch, all our kitchen scraps and all day free range (lots of greens to be found). Everyone is healthy, bright eyed, active, etc. But over the last month egg production has dropped to zero. Nothing in over a week. Actually thought something might be stealing eggs but I put a couple in the boxes and two days later they are still there. So is it just the shorter days or could it be too much protein? I just didn't expect the first year pullets stop laying completely.

edited to add - meant to say I did also rule out hidden nests, locked them in the run for a few days, and no egg eaters, roll out nest boxes.

Just that time of year possibly. Might be the feed. It might be filled with GMO's  Have you checked for lice, mites, critters?  Some hens stop laying for good reasons..ill health..moult..broody..bad feed..change in weather..stress..predators..Sounds like you are looking for  and eliminating each as a source.
Examine your birds closely..do they weigh less? More? Check the coop for small holes or mite infestation. Look for rodent/mink excrement.

Welcome to the group

Weights are good, no signs of creepy crawlies. Feed "should" be good, the feed store I use grows and mills their own products and I had a long talk with them re seed sources, growing methods, additives, etc after I kept catching my son helping himself to the pellets. :rolleyes: I did catch a squirrel in the coop a few weeks back helping himself to the feeder, had to have come in through the pop door... he didn't make it out and I no longer free feed in case he has family in the area. Never had a rodent issue until my dog died this spring. Belgian Malinois, prey drive up the wazoo, but best darn dog and never a problem with the chickens. He knew a softly spoken "leave it" was law.

Another chick question. I noticed tonight that one of them has crooked toes. I did a search but only found info on toes that curl under. These lay flat but the middle and outside toe on both feet curve outward. What causes this? Genetics or nutrition?

I did actually have a chicken question :p . Back in chickens a few years, mixed mostly hatchery layer flock of 16 hens and pullets. I switched to a 19-20% all purpose poultry feed mid/late summer when I integrated everyone, easier than worrying about multiple types of feed. They also get oyster shell on the side, which they barely touch, all our kitchen scraps and all day free range (lots of greens to be found). Everyone is healthy, bright eyed, active, etc. But over the last month egg production has dropped to zero. Nothing in over a week. Actually thought something might be stealing eggs but I put a couple in the boxes and two days later they are still there. So is it just the shorter days or could it be too much protein? I just didn't expect the first year pullets stop laying completely.

Probably what Fred said...but kind of odd to get absolutely zero out of 16 birds.  Should be at least one or two birds dropping one here and there. 

It may sound far fetched but I've heard of folks having rats stealing eggs this time of year.  Got rodent problems at all?  Any human preds in the area who would relieve you of your eggs? 

I never get too disturbed by a drop in egg production this time of year....like Fred, I just expect it between Sept and Dec and don't try to do much about it.  Everyone needs a slow down in the winter, why not these hard workin' gals? 

I thought of rats but no signs and I planted a few store bought eggs which have been untouched. So unless they have discerning tastes...:p must add of the 16 only 7 were confirmed layers, 4 pullets 3hens, I think the other pullets were still just "thinking about it". Hopefully no two-legged rodents, we have 5 1/2 acres, completely fenced with 6 foot chain link, and are smack in the middle, that would be a pretty ballsy intruder and a much bigger concern than just egg stealing. As long as no one thinks the protein is an issue I'm gonna go with daylight and nature.

What kind of range on a .22? And...specifically what would you use the shot gun for and what would be the range there? (There are neighbors not too far on most sides so I have to be careful not to over-shoot by much.)

Yup. A .22 is a standard issue varmint gun, that's for sure, but if you have neighbors, be very very careful. The range of a .22 LR is upwards of a 1/2 mile, sometimes more if the wind is right. That's risky unless the shot taken is level to downward. That's why a little shotgun is always welcomed. For little or no kick, a 410 can do the job. A 20 gauge packs more punch, throws more pellets and doesn't need to be as precise as a .22. Put a slug in that 20 gauge and add a recoil pad on the stock and you can take down a deer at close range and won't leave a black and blue mark on your shoulder.

Bee, Since you are not a badge carrying member of a PD , I suppose you are using hollow points?

Nah.  Just plain ol' .22 longs.  Using a single shot, open sight rifle that is over 80 years old...was my grandpa's, then my dad's and now it's in the hands of us women.  Heaven help us all!  :D   The 16 gauge is about 45 yrs old and has killed it's fair share of critters as well.  I guess you can say that if we like a gun we hold on to it for just a bit and make it pay for its keep. 

My boys are in for a visit and had a mind to do some target shooting with the old .22 (that thing is so very accurate!) and asked where we were keeping it nowadays. 

I started out my reply with, "Well, we had a stray dog in the yard the other d...." and didn't even complete the word before the youngest boy said, "Back porch."  and headed for the door.  :gig

My boys know me soooo well!  :D

Very funny!

I thought of rats but no signs and I planted a few store bought eggs which have been untouched. So unless they have discerning tastes...
tongue.png
must add of the 16 only 7 were confirmed layers, 4 pullets 3hens, I think the other pullets were still just "thinking about it". Hopefully no two-legged rodents, we have 5 1/2 acres, completely fenced with 6 foot chain link, and are smack in the middle, that would be a pretty ballsy intruder and a much bigger concern than just egg stealing. As long as no one thinks the protein is an issue I'm gonna go with daylight and nature.

Finally, keep all pullets with learner's permit in the coop until 2 pm. They gotta learn and they will copy the older hens as to where, ie the nests you provide. I am way too old to do Easter egg hunts all over the property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom