Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That. The .22's range is dependent upon lots of factors, thus the product safety statement of 1 mile. Factor for the worst, and you'll be OK. I shoot hollow points which both limits the distance a touch and won't just pass right through the varmint.

While it makes more noise, the shotgun tends to spray it's pellets on one's own property. A 410 has far less kick than 20/16/12 and makes an excellent all purpose varmint gun. Add a butt pad and it can be used by anyone who can use a .22, plus it has a larger pattern for those tiny, cussed, annoying ground squirrels that are really tough to get with the rifle.

A 12 gauge, shooting rifled slugs can beat up your shoulder, holding it tight or not. But, since we've got bear around here, it is a must have. Just not for shooting little varmints in the yard.
Fred,

We had a bear wandering about here in S.C,. in town. Hubby loaded up with slugs for a while. His favorite varmit gun is a 22 magnum pistol loaded with rat shot. Takes care of the maybe shooting the neighbor problem, with very little noise. Lately he's been sitting watching the eagles circling all my overhead monofilament line, casting net in hand. Won't shoot one, but might give one a taxi ride if it comes in. I really think it's just an excuse to sit, and watch the Orps.!

Looks like Bee's mom has some mums. Rust, Lavender and yellow, left to right. Looks like one of the chickens plopped down in the middle of the yellow plant. Cannot tell you how much my wife enjoys it when the birds do that to her flowers.
Yeah, I see it now...that's what it looks like ! (Thanks to the first cup of coffee) I'm not EVEN going to discuss what my flower beds are going to look like now that we have chickens!

You can't hurry eggs
No you'll just have to wait
They'll lay when they're ready.....
Someone's reached the point of lay!

ya.gif

Hi Zenna ..welcome to the group

Lisa..are you saying you need boiling water to butcher out a Turkey? Today? Don't ya think that is a bit late?
And if you are hauling water out it should be boiling. By the time you get the bird in it will be prettty cool in this weather. How about firing up the grill and setting pots on top of that? Or make a nice fire out where you are going to butcher? That is if you are butchering. You really never said.

175 is perfect temp for removing feathers...use a candy thermometer. makes it so much easier if you have correct temps for feather pulling. They wipe right off. If you build a fire you can use a stick and burn off the tiny little fuzz.

Hi Zenna ..welcome to the group

Lisa..are you saying you need boiling water to butcher out a Turkey? Today? Don't ya think that is a bit late?
And if you are hauling water out it should be boiling. By the time you get the bird in it will be prettty cool in this weather. How about firing up the grill and setting pots on top of that? Or make a nice fire out where you are going to butcher? That is if you are butchering. You really never said.
Why is it late? The weather here is about 60 right now. A very pretty day. We are butchering today. My oven is not big enough for her so we are taking her to the church dinner and cookin (her) there. The grill is a good idea. There is a lot of excitement everyone is thrilled to have a home raised completely fresh turkey. I was planning to soak it in salt water over night.
Yaking all suggestions caus we really dont want to mess up on this. We have worked hard to get to this point.
L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom