chickens freak out only when I move

Sobek

Songster
Aug 12, 2018
orlando florida
My chickens will snuggle with me... are okay around me for the most part but when they are acting rowdy I have to remain perfectly still and ignore them.... if I so much as look at them or move... one chicken will scream and then they all start screaming... Why do they do this to me it's super annoying lol... They don't run they just start screaming at me

Not sure. I walk around mine like I own the place. ;) They move around me. I do occasionally pick them up, health checks. They grumble a bit at that, but they've never scolded me for moving. It almost sounds like you need to raise your status in the pecking order. If they're staying and not running then it doesn't sound like a fear reaction. See if you can get a video clip of it ( have to post elsewhere, YouTube etc. Then link video here) Maybe the resident chicken psychologists can help some more.

Not sure. I walk around mine like I own the place. ;) They move around me. I do occasionally pick them up, health checks. They grumble a bit at that, but they've never scolded me for moving. It almost sounds like you need to raise your status in the pecking order. If they're staying and not running then it doesn't sound like a fear reaction. See if you can get a video clip of it ( have to post elsewhere, YouTube etc. Then link video here) Maybe the resident chicken psychologists can help some more.
well they aren't violent... They just... scream.... like a temper tantrum almost.... They are well taken care of and they probably do think they are higher than me sometimes but I can hold them down and stuff with little or no resistance so I guess ultimately they do submit to me...

How old are they?
Do you feed them from your hand ? Sit down with them ?

Mine see me as food :) they come running but if I drop something or (heaven help us )raise my voice ! They’re gone ...

They are birds and they can be chickens!!

How old are they?
Do you feed them from your hand ? Sit down with them ?

Mine see me as food :) they come running but if I drop something or (heaven help us )raise my voice ! They’re gone ...

They are birds and they can be chickens!!
Yes... I have snuggled and napped with them lol.... I have a picture when I gave them a bath I laid in the sun and one of my girls decided to sunbathe with me she was cuddled up against me... I mean... I do nap outside with them occasionally lol and they usually sit higher than me so I guess it's possible they think they're top but at the same time they submit and I can handle them or hold them down without them fighting ... I mean theyre animals so I doubt they can process both that I'm loving but dominant so... IDK... They've been a bit calmer I think maybe they just wanna stay outside but I lock them up at night.... Well evening before it's dark so they may just think I'm jailing them lol... But honestly I basically live amongst them.... They are comfortable with me I just don't understand why they get so noisy and it's like a chain reaction..m one chicken screams and the other is like... Heyyy I wanna try that too!!! Then Carnelian is like. Yup! I'm a big chicken now and I can make noise too! And in 10 seconds all four of them are going AAWWWKKMMK HEEEEEE or Bawwwkk awk awk awk awk awk awk almost like a cry lol... It's annoying but if I'm not watching them I run to them Everytime I hear them call for me... They've gone as far as flying at my door to get my attention lol... They're such beautiful creatures sigh. But so annoying

Now that you mention it any fast movement freaks mine out too, I have gotten so used to walking slowly and speaking calmly that I don’t think about it anymore....

Birds will always be skittish ,
And we are huge from where they stand ,keep on enjoying them ❤️

Back
Top Bottom