Chickens freezing to death

Wilmakat1

Hatching
Feb 23, 2020
We are new to chickens this year. I went out last night on check on the chickens during our first real winter storm this year to find all 8 chickens almost frozen to death because they wouldn't voluntarily go back into their coop. We brought them into the house, put a heat lamp over them to melt all the ice that was frozen onto them, and dried them as the ice melted. They seem ok today.
They have never gone back into their coop during any other storm either and if I hadn't gone back outside, we would've lost them all. They go in own their own as it gets dark. How do you get them to understand to protect themselves and go into the coop during a storm? Sorry its such a long post.

We are new to chickens this year. I went out last night on check on the chickens during our first real winter storm this year to find all 8 chickens almost frozen to death because they wouldn't voluntarily go back into their coop. We brought them into the house, put a heat lamp over them to melt all the ice that was frozen onto them, and dried them as the ice melted. They seem ok today.
They have never gone back into their coop during any other storm either and if I hadn't gone back outside, we would've lost them all. They go in own their own as it gets dark. How do you get them to understand to protect themselves and go into the coop during a storm? Sorry its such a long post.
when a storm is predicted, we don't let them out at all until it's passed over. they get confused and some don't want what is best for them

when a storm is predicted, we don't let them out at all until it's passed over. they get confused and some don't want what is best for them
Yes. If your chickens won't voluntarily go into their coop, you have to take charge. Toss some of their favorite food (my birds like corn and cat food) in the coop and herd them in that direction. Just try to get them relatively close or in the coop before it the storm gets serious. Don't forget to close the door if your coop has one because otherwise they'll just walk out once they are finished.

Back
Top Bottom