Chickens Freezing?

Wow! That's cold! (Must be one of Santa's elves living at the North Pole. I've been good this year.)

Thank you. That's good to know.
Not quite the North Pole. Just Wisconsin. (again).
The thing that is hard to remember is that chickens are wearing down coats so they handle the cold much better than we expect them to. Also they sort of “acclimate” to their environment, so trying to add heat can actually be more stressful to them because then they get used to that and have problems if the heat source suddenly goes away (like a power outage). Just imagine if birds can’t handle the cold, ALL birds would migrate for the winter and that clearly doesn’t happen and there are not mass bird deaths every time the temp drops below a certain point either.

Thanks!

It got really cold last night (around 12 degrees F) and this morning, Big Ben did not crow. By about 6:30 I ran out to check on them, and they were perfectly fine. They will be getting some warm oatmeal for breakfast, in addition to their feed.

OK, cold climate people, I have a question for you. :D I have been changing out their water several times a day because it turns into to ice. Is there some trick to keeping it warm that doesn't involve running electrical cords to the coop?

Thanks!

It got really cold last night (around 12 degrees F) and this morning, Big Ben did not crow. By about 6:30 I ran out to check on them, and they were perfectly fine. They will be getting some warm oatmeal for breakfast, in addition to their feed.

OK, cold climate people, I have a question for you. :D I have been changing out their water several times a day because it turns into to ice. Is there some trick to keeping it warm that doesn't involve running electrical cords to the coop?

I use one gallon open water dishes. In the morning I fill partially. It ices over every 3-4 hours so I bring a gallon jug of straight hot out and add enough to thaw it. Lather rinse repeat. At coop closing I dump any remaining water in prep for tomorrow.

This morning (because I was busy last night and did not change the duck water that is 5 gallons and has a heater) I carried 10 gallons out. Yeah that was not fun. I won't put THAT off again.

Thanks!

This is a great question. I would also love to hear others thoughts. I currently use an electric cord to my coop in the winter and plug in a metal heated base. I do think it is pretty safe, uses low wattage, and shuts off when it gets above freezing. I would like to convert to non electric, but I am not home during the day to change out water containers.

I did see a post years ago where the poster was experimenting with basically a tiny green house sort of surround for the water station.

I presume it was to optimize any sun that was shining. Thing is....no sun=no heat to capture.

When I was working full time I did the water in the morning and 9-10 hours later as well soon as I got home I did the water again. No one died or acted super thirsty.
We have been lucky here in that our temperatures so far have stayed above 30 degrees F, but the cold is coming and yes, there has been no sun.

I just use chicken food + water, instead of making them oatmeal. It's quicker and easier, and I know it has all the right nutrients in the right proportions.

It's a great thing when they're both hungry and thirsty because they just woke up, and they seem to think it's a real treat at any other time as well.

Easier changing: have two waterers or water dishes. Carry one out, bring the frozen one into the house to thaw (sit it in an empty bucket so it doesn't drip on the floor.)

Or use a rubber water bowl, so you can flex it to get the ice out.

I saw an article about making a big hole in the ground, lining it with manure, and sitting a bucket of water inside. The rotting manure supposedly made enough heat to keep the water thawed. It sounded like a clever idea, but one that it's better to set up before the ground gets too frozen to dig!

The neighbor's cows paid a visit last fall and left plenty of fertilizer behind, but I'm not sure I'd care to go the manure route. :) I have been changing out the two waterers.

I’ve been at this about 8 years. The first winter I worried so much and used heat lamps. Since then I do what the others have said, I put up panels all around the coop leaving a couple of inches at the top of each for ventilation. I make sure they are dry and I add plenty of straw. They have always been fine. They also warm each other.

ive had chickens outside its -10 aslong as long they have a shelter they cano get away from the cold wind/draft and rain there fine, just make sure they get food and water, they have feathers thats what there for to protect them from the cold, you can line the inside of the coup with styrafoam foam insulation, its a pink color about inch thick and is moisture proof can get at home depot.
I personally wouldn’t suggest lining the inside of a coop with styrofoam unless the chickens don’t have access to it. We tried to line the a spot on the ceiling with the blue styrofoam and the chickens pecked at it. I worried that they would eat it so we took it down.

Back
Top Bottom