Chickens Freezing?

Pics

Geckolady

Counting Chickens B4 They're Hatched
Sep 12, 2020
east central Arizona
On Saturday I bought three pullets that are about ready to start laying and a rooster. They are in a commercial, two-story chicken coop. It will get down to 20 degrees F tonight. I was talking to a friend who said they could freeze to death in that cold. I found some thick cardboard and put in on the bottom of the top part, and covered it with wood shavings. They are cuckoo leghorns. I don't want to lose them. Will they be OK overnight? The rooster has a nice tall comb. At about what temperature should I put vaseline on it? Worried first time chicken keeper here.

If they are mature, fully feathered and healthy, your chickens will be fine. However, they will be cold and uncomfortable if their coop is too small and doesn’t have good ventilation. The most important thing in the winter is to keep them dry and out of drafts (drafts are different than ventilation). It has been below 20 for several nights here already, and I haven’t even closed the windows in the coop yet.

I just ran outside to take some pictures of it. Sorry it's dark. And this is what they look like. I bought them at a chicken show on Saturday.
20201026_175817.jpg
20201026_175751.jpg
20201024_093604.jpg
20201024_093606.jpg

Leave a small strip uncovered at the bottom. That coop doesn't have much up high venting so that bit at the bottom is important in order for warm air to rise up and out taking moisture with it.

Done! I used a double layer of cardboard. Thank you! I love them already. They are so sweet!

Done! I used a double layer of cardboard. Thank you! I love them already. They are so sweet!

Hang in there. The first winter will be the one you worry about them the most.
They are a color variety not readily available as far as I know. I will be interested to hear how they do with the laying.

Back
Top Bottom