Chickens Freezing?

Mine go out even at zero degrees. Wind and cold they spend a lot more time inside.
How big is the run on your coop? Maybe an extension you can cover would be nice.

I built this tiny broody house and that run (roughly 4x6x2) held a tarp on top and snow/rain did not sag the wire.

View attachment 2390421

To open the run that lid is hinged.

The run is a little over 5 feet x a little over 5 feet. It was blowing rain and snow yesterday so I kept them inside. I didn't want their little down coats to be soaked. And the ground was muddy.

The run is a little over 5 feet x a little over 5 feet. It was blowing rain and snow yesterday so I kept them inside. I didn't want their little down coats to be soaked. And the ground was muddy.

How long until they get the bigger coop?
The current run is tiny. They will be needing more space very soon.

Mine go out even at zero degrees. Wind and cold they spend a lot more time inside.
How big is the run on your coop? Maybe an extension you can cover would be nice.

I built this tiny broody house and that run (roughly 4x6x2) held a tarp on top and snow/rain did not sag the wire.

View attachment 2390421

To open the run that lid is hinged.
I have been leaving my birds run open and I always find them inside. They don’t seem to like being out in the cold.

I have been leaving my birds run open and I always find them inside. They don’t seem to like being out in the cold.

As long as the choice is there and both run and coop are big enough for everyone they will choose where they are most comfortable.

Mine have that choice as my runs and coops are big enough for everyone to.move freely in either or both at their choosing.

They will be getting some warm oatmeal for breakfast, in addition to their feed.

I just use chicken food + water, instead of making them oatmeal. It's quicker and easier, and I know it has all the right nutrients in the right proportions.

It's a great thing when they're both hungry and thirsty because they just woke up, and they seem to think it's a real treat at any other time as well.

OK, cold climate people, I have a question for you. :D I have been changing out their water several times a day because it turns into to ice. Is there some trick to keeping it warm that doesn't involve running electrical cords to the coop?

Easier changing: have two waterers or water dishes. Carry one out, bring the frozen one into the house to thaw (sit it in an empty bucket so it doesn't drip on the floor.)

Or use a rubber water bowl, so you can flex it to get the ice out.

I saw an article about making a big hole in the ground, lining it with manure, and sitting a bucket of water inside. The rotting manure supposedly made enough heat to keep the water thawed. It sounded like a clever idea, but one that it's better to set up before the ground gets too frozen to dig!

I just use chicken food + water, instead of making them oatmeal. It's quicker and easier, and I know it has all the right nutrients in the right proportions.

It's a great thing when they're both hungry and thirsty because they just woke up, and they seem to think it's a real treat at any other time as well.

Easier changing: have two waterers or water dishes. Carry one out, bring the frozen one into the house to thaw (sit it in an empty bucket so it doesn't drip on the floor.)

Or use a rubber water bowl, so you can flex it to get the ice out.

I saw an article about making a big hole in the ground, lining it with manure, and sitting a bucket of water inside. The rotting manure supposedly made enough heat to keep the water thawed. It sounded like a clever idea, but one that it's better to set up before the ground gets too frozen to dig!

The neighbor's cows paid a visit last fall and left plenty of fertilizer behind, but I'm not sure I'd care to go the manure route. :) I have been changing out the two waterers.

I’ve been at this about 8 years. The first winter I worried so much and used heat lamps. Since then I do what the others have said, I put up panels all around the coop leaving a couple of inches at the top of each for ventilation. I make sure they are dry and I add plenty of straw. They have always been fine. They also warm each other.

On Saturday I bought three pullets that are about ready to start laying and a rooster. They are in a commercial, two-story chicken coop. It will get down to 20 degrees F tonight. I was talking to a friend who said they could freeze to death in that cold. I found some thick cardboard and put in on the bottom of the top part, and covered it with wood shavings. They are cuckoo leghorns. I don't want to lose them. Will they be OK overnight? The rooster has a nice tall comb. At about what temperature should I put vaseline on it? Worried first time chicken keeper here.
ive had chickens outside its -10 aslong as long they have a shelter they cano get away from the cold wind/draft and rain there fine, just make sure they get food and water, they have feathers thats what there for to protect them from the cold, you can line the inside of the coup with styrafoam foam insulation, its a pink color about inch thick and is moisture proof can get at home depot.

That little coop ,if it's cleaned daily,kept dry,dose t need that much cold air coming in.Lets not see who's chicken can survive the coldest while suffering.I see many frostbite and deaths mentioned on here too.
Get a couple cozy coop heaters,and give them a comfortable life.Much more room to run too.They can't be a bird in a caged,keep thermometer ,humidity gauge in coop,as well..Thats jail.good luck.

Back
Top Bottom