Chickens gaining up....

Xlcandylx

Songster
Aug 29, 2017
Bells texas
I just brought 2 sister skilles into my coop of five hens.... 3 of the hens keep pecking and going after them....will it be fine to leave them in there or should I remove them? Or how long do I wait to remove them? I'm going to remove the skilles when I get the nesting coop ready just know much more beside I knew they will gain up and knew they will do it when they come in. Just don't know what to watch for/ or do.

Put a divider between the two groups, can't just throw new hens with old ones. That will always end up that way.. Especially if they're real much older.

It takes a slow slow introduction to get them together, since you only have five no need to start two social groups unless you have upwards of 7+

The skilles are over a year old... My crew is just starting to lay so I would say no more than 9 months old. Right now each of the are staying on opposite side of the pen. I did let them out in there walk around I set up and put away the ones going after them for about 30mintes.

I just brought 2 sister skilles into my coop of five hens.... 3 of the hens keep pecking and going after them....will it be fine to leave them in there or should I remove them? Or how long do I wait to remove them? I'm going to remove the skilles when I get the nesting coop ready just know much more beside I knew they will gain up and knew they will do it when they come in. Just don't know what to watch for/ or do.
Welcome to BYC!

It's best to keep new birds separated by wire for a few weeks before letting them touch each other.

Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

This used to be a better search, new format has reduced it's efficacy, but still:
Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
This is good place to start reading, BUT some info is outdated IMO:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Welcome to BYC!

It's best to keep new birds separated by wire for a few weeks before letting them touch each other.

Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

This used to be a better search, new format has reduced it's efficacy, but still:
Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
This is good place to start reading, BUT some info is outdated IMO:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock
I separated the watering spots so they will be separated and hidden so the others can get water and food without the ones I have seeing them. The coop I have set up is pretty big and there's a lot of places they can go. Those skilles do move very fast, haven't seen one pen them down yet. But right now they are sticking to each flock.... I'll be getting a 2 year old rooster soon... Any thing I should prepare for him? Hes going to be most likely by himself.

All is good now the girls found a nice comfy spot. Is there anything I should watch out for? Since I moved them into a new location?

Back
Top Bottom