1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chickens getting along

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 2DogsCoop, Oct 7, 2011.

1. 2DogsCoop

2DogsCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    Naples, FL
    We are looking into getting 5 black stars and was wondering if they will get along with our 5 RIR? Also are they friendly chickens? Thanks

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Black Stars or Black Sex Links as they are more commonly called, are great birds. We love ours. They are a nice heavy bodied bird and lay very well. We have some that love to be held and a few that love to be tickled. We breed our own here each year.
    As for them getting alog with your RIR's it will depend on age and how you go about transitioning them together. If they are all still very young, then there should be little problem. If they are all adults then it would be best to transition them together by having them seperated within the pen by a run of chicken wire. let them get used to each other through the wire until they ignore each other and then remove the chicken wire and there should be just some minor pecking order stuff.

3. 2DogsCoop

2DogsCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Our RIR are only about 6 months old and the Black Stars will be 17 weeks old. I can separate them in two different runs but not the coop? If I pick them up early enough in the day I can at least have them separated until roost time. I have been doing a lot of looking on the internet and since their age is close it shouldn't be a big deal but we will find out. Thanks for your response.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by