Chickens going off feed & refusing to eat it

Not difficult at all the 3rd day of 2003. This is a normal way to present mill date.
It might be normal but it is not as clear and transparent as (to use your example) 3 Jan 2003. Can you convert, say, 25th of August into the so-called Julian day without using a calculator? (the real Julian calendar has nothing whatsoever to do with the poultry feed dating system)

It might be normal but it is not as clear and transparent as (to use your example) 3 Jan 2003. Can you convert, say, 25th of August into the so-called Julian day without using a calculator? (the real Julian calendar has nothing whatsoever to do with the poultry feed dating system)
Aug 25 this year on a feed bag will say 23 237 Aug 25 is the 237th day. The 2 digit year comes first.
And Kalmbach does use Julian date, as does Purina.

did you get there without a calculator? How clear do you think it is to someone looking in a feed store to buy a bag of recently milled feed?
Just look at the 3 digit day and estimate—roughly 30 days per month. But I do keep a Julian chart where I mark when I start new bags. So if I needed feed today, I’d look for as close to 80 (080) as possible. And sometimes our store rotates their stock, and sometimes they don’t.

Thanks everyone & yes, no doubt, I am not feeding from the remainder of the bag. They heartily ate some soaked oatmeal, millet, cracked wheat & hemp hearts served tossed with scrambled eggs this morning. I have no choice but to feed commercial feed & being pellets are preferred my choices are only Kalmbach & Purina. Years back I replaced Purina with the Kalmbach with much better results & happier birds though now am hesitant to purchase another bag. Anyone know of specific brands they've had success with that perhaps I can order through Chewy?

Okay folks, another thing. I received this bag on 1/31/23 & didn't open until 2/12/23; with the mill date being 1/3/23 do you consider it old? I realize there could be more to it than old feed, but was always under the presumption that within 60 days of mill date is acceptable. My only choices are the local feed store (Purina only option) & Chewy (several brands to choose from, but only familiar with Kalmbach). I'll need to order something as eggs & soaked grains/seeds are not a long term option and of course they free range so have plenty of green stuff.

Okay folks, another thing. I received this bag on 1/31/23 & didn't open until 2/12/23; with the mill date being 1/3/23 do you consider it old? I realize there could be more to it than old feed, but was always under the presumption that within 60 days of mill date is acceptable. My only choices are the local feed store (Purina only option) & Chewy (several brands to choose from, but only familiar with Kalmbach). I'll need to order something as eggs & soaked grains/seeds are not a long term option and of course they free range so have plenty of green stuff.
No I don’t consider it old. I would hope to get a bag less than 3 months old.

Back
Top Bottom