Chickens going over fence

sukr4chkns

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 18, 2012
Hi all.

Today a few of my chickens started to hop up and over my chain link fence and into the back yard and into the neighbors yard. Once they were over the other side they didn't seem to know how to get back and they started to panic. I opened up the gate and one of them came right in, but my rooster was at a loss and he ran straight into the neighbors yard. The problem is, they don't want them in the yard. I'm also afraid they are going to be killed by something, as the back yard is a bit woodsy and there are often stray cats, fox, etc. I'd really like to break them of this habit before it gets out of hand. Does anyone have any suggestions. I was thinking of running some barbed wife across the top of it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

sukr

I at first hated the idea of clipping wings, it just didn't seem natural.....but after losing a few escapees, i now clip wings.....i am sure that anyone watching me is laughing...here is the scene, i take a lounge chair out beside the coop at night and a big flashlight that I can sit on the ground...they are easier to pick off of the roost at night, I clip the wings then pet and talk to them awhile, then proceed to the next one...I am not the crazy chicken lady that all of the neighbors seem to think i am..
idunno.gif
or am I???

Thank you all very much for the advice. Mission accomplished. The wife and I went out this morning and had them all clipped in less than 5 min. We have 13 birds, three of them had already been clipped from their previous owner. It was much easier than I thought. I just hope it keeps them from hopping the fence. Would hate to lose any of them. We have become so attached to them. They all have names now and our kids have really fallen in love with them. So fun to see the looks on their face when they find eggs in the hen box.

One more question. It appears that two of our birds, Redstars, had their wings clipped before we purchased them. Whoever did it clipped all the wing feathers, not just the primary ones. Will they eventually grow back? We have twins, and they are the sweetest birds. Everytime I'm out doing work on the coop or in the yard, they always come and hang out with me. If the rooster comes after one of them, they always run under me and want me to pick them up. I would have never guessed that I would truly become a sukr4chikns!! lol

Anyway, I'm going to try to get some pics of the flock up soon. Thanks again everyone.

sukr

Back
Top Bottom