1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens Had Snake For Lunch

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 33yardbirds, Apr 26, 2011.

1. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    One of the hens scratched up a 6 to 8 inch Garter snake and they all had a run with it until one was able to gobble it down. I just made sure it wasn't a small Rattler.

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

wait until you see them shred one of them into bits. Mice too

3. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    It's funny to watch them play 'keep away' with one. The rest of the flock chase the lucky hen mercilessly until she drops her prize.

4. llrumsey

llrumsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    I havent seen my chickens eat a snake yet but I have mice. I was having a terrible problem with mice in my chicken house, so I set a trap and caught about 10 or so in a bucket, I then went out to my chicken run called the chickens over and turned the bucket upside down, wow what a race 10 mice and about 30 chickens only one excaped and I havent had any trouble since then, I believe he told his friends about his narrow escape and they decided not to try their luck.

5. Karen09

Karen09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2009
    Wyoming, New York
    Quote:That is great! We used to have mice around but the chickens actually do a better job than our cats ever did of getting rid of them. Plus the cat would always bring the mouse (sometimes still alive) to show what a great job they did. One even would throw it at me - I think it liked to watch me scream and climb on a chair. We traded in the cats for chickens and they don't throw the mice at me - they make sure the mice are no longer around! And they take care of the mice quickly, unlike the cats who play with it for awhile. We also do not have many snakes around anymore. Gotta love chickens!

6. MsPony

MsPony Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    Maybe they will eat my nasty rosy boa? *sigh*

I gave my first fuzzy, my cuckoo maran hit it so hard against the pavement...well she got the head and my smaller light brahma got the body. Ill have some adults here soon to keep them entertained, prehistoric little raptors!

7. BigBird99

BigBird99 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    Our first flock, 3 yrs ago, of Buff Orpingtons, one of the girls got a small garter snake and swallowed it down like a piece of spagetti.[​IMG]

8. MsPony

MsPony Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    Do they hold it in their crops?? That can't be comfortable?

9. YYZ

YYZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Maine
    I had a non poisonous snake in my yard that was like 4 feet long. I found the snake with a toad in its mouth. I pulled the toad out.. the toads leg was all wrinkly and whitish color but it was ok i guess. Later i found a chick in the same snakes mouth but it was to late. Why didnt i kill the darn [​IMG] snake!

10. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I have seen mine peck to death and eat a sparrow. Little bugger just go too close to the bird seed they were cleaning up under the hanging bird feeder. That was quite the show!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by