Chickens have Diarrhea

KCward

Chirping
Mar 25, 2021
I’m a bit of a newbie chicken owner, I’ve had chickens for about 3 years now but I haven’t ran into any problems until now. My Brahma hens and Roo have diarrhea. They are about 11 months old and act healthy other wise. They are eating and drinking fine. I’m in Texas and the weather has been fairly mild with nights in the 40s/50s and days in the 60s/70s, if that may make a difference. Their bottoms have gotten a little dirty. This has been going on for a couple of weeks now. I don’t see any worms and I have not wormed them before. I was feeding quite a bit of treats like corn and have stopped over the past few days to see if it would help. It may be helping a little, I’m not sure but there is still quite a bit of runny pop in their pen. I did call around to the local vets and most of them will not do a fecal for chickens. Are there many diseases that can cause mild diarrhea and no other symptoms? They aren’t sneezing or anything like like that. Could it possibly be cocci? I did see a tiny amount of blood in a couple piles that aren’t as runny, but wasn’t sure if it was just normal intestinal lining. I do have Corid if anyone thinks it would be worth a shot adding that to their water. Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• FFEE137A-B8BA-47FB-B420-501FCFDE3713.jpeg
    FFEE137A-B8BA-47FB-B420-501FCFDE3713.jpeg
    549.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 66F8DEB5-7B9B-4CE4-9E38-1B6C9DB54302.jpeg
    66F8DEB5-7B9B-4CE4-9E38-1B6C9DB54302.jpeg
    1,011.4 KB · Views: 7
  • F9841211-EC27-49FA-89DF-1EFC6BA8B3C5.jpeg
    F9841211-EC27-49FA-89DF-1EFC6BA8B3C5.jpeg
    775.7 KB · Views: 6
Likely intestinal shedding.
If the problem persists, then treating for worms is the way I would go.
Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen would be what I'd use.

Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

Likely intestinal shedding.
If the problem persists, then treating for worms is the way I would go.
Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen would be what I'd use.

Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.
Thank you, I have both of those so I will use one if needed. Is there an egg withdrawal time for either dewormer?

I think I would start by treating with Corid. Mucus + blood looks more like cocci to me than worms and there is no egg withdrawal time for Corid. If there is no improvement then I'd go with a general dewormer. Suggested egg withdrawal time is two weeks for both safeguard and valbazen (though you'll find some people who do three weeks and others who do none depending on their comfort level with drug residues).

Back
Top Bottom