Chickens have stopped laying completely

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by greenacreshens, Jan 12, 2008.

1. greenacreshens

greenacreshens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2007
    Georgia
    I have replied so some others reporting the same thing. I was just wondering how wide spread it is?
    I live in Middle Ga. and many of my friend's chickens stopped laying at the exact same time mine did. They were laying fine until the second week of Dec. and then they just stopped. I have read on the forum pages that many people from many different states are reporting the same thing. It's not a feed issue as we have tried everything and so far nothing has worked. Anyone have any suggestions of what might be causing this??
    Thank you!
    Cindy

2. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    Hours of light play a big part. They need a min. of 14 hours to lay regurally.

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Lack of daylight...it's the darkest time of year/shortest days and that triggers the chickens to stop laying.

Have you tried a light on in the coop? You can put a light on a timer so that it comes on a few hours before daybreak so the chickens get up earlier. I have a light in my coop to come on at 4am and go off at 7am once the sun is up.

Extending the light is what big egg production facilities do to keep their chickens producing all year round.

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

My lights are on a timer. They turn on at about 3:30 am and turn off at 5 pm. I don't know if this helps you, but my 10 hens are laying about 4 eggs a day (on average) and it's been really cold and they were moved about a week ago.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Plus some breeds just take a rest during winter laying...If I've hatched out pullets in March or April like Buff Orps, RIRs or Brahmas they have always laid well through out the winter months and into Spring...by the 3 or 4 year they take a break....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by