Chickens have worms right after deworming?

HorseGirlAbby

🌷 Welcome spring! 🌷
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
May 14, 2021
Eastern WA
I just dewormed my chickens last month, giving them the last dose about a week ago. I used Valbazen, exactly how people on here said to use it, 0.08 ml per pound of body weight, and repeat dosage in ten days. So they should be free of worms, right? But last night, my rooster pooped out something that was crawling with little white specks. They were tiny, and looked like little worm segments. I didn’t get a photo, unfortunately, but these were definitely alive. They were squirming. Is this just him getting rid of the worms? They had roundworms, and that’s why I worked them in the first place. But these things weren’t roundworms. If I had to guess, I’d say it was tapeworm segments. Can anybody help?

I just dewormed my chickens last month, giving them the last dose about a week ago. I used Valbazen, exactly how people on here said to use it, 0.08 ml per pound of body weight, and repeat dosage in ten days. So they should be free of worms, right? But last night, my rooster pooped out something that was crawling with little white specks. They were tiny, and looked like little worm segments. I didn’t get a photo, unfortunately, but these were definitely alive. They were squirming. Is this just him getting rid of the worms? They had roundworms, and that’s why I worked them in the first place. But these things weren’t roundworms. If I had to guess, I’d say it was tapeworm segments. Can anybody help?
The Valbazen should get all but tapes. Praziquantel is the best drug to treat tapeworms in poultry. The dose is 10 mg/kg (4.54 mg per pound) once, then repeat in 10-14 days. You can get praziquantel for cats or dogs or Equimax paste for horses (ivermectin & praziquantel).

Equimax horse paste has 140.3 mg/ml Praziquantel, 18.7 mg/ml ivermectin. Dose is ~0.033 ml per pound, or 0.16 ml per five pounds.

The Valbazen should get all but tapes. Praziquantel is the best drug to treat tapeworms in poultry. The dose is 10 mg/kg (4.54 mg per pound) once, then repeat in 10-14 days. You can get praziquantel for cats or dogs or Equimax paste for horses (ivermectin & praziquantel).

Equimax horse paste has 140.3 mg/ml Praziquantel, 18.7 mg/ml ivermectin. Dose is ~0.033 ml per pound, or 0.16 ml per five pounds.
Ok, thanks. Do I treat only him? No one else is showing signs of tapeworms. And I guess I wouldn’t have to worry about egg withdrawal times lol.

Back
Top Bottom