Chickens having a good time.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by catfish/okie, Dec 22, 2009.

1. catfish/okie

catfish/okie Chillin' With My Peeps

Does your chickens enjoy themselves scratching around right after you till your garden. Gotta go now check back after work.

2. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don't till, but have heard others talk about even turning over one shovelful of dirt can get the chickens all excited to come hunt for worms and such.

3. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    We always gave the chickens a shovelful of dirt and worms and grass every day right in the chicken coop.

4. Parrotchick

Parrotchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Boonsboro MD
    My chickies like to be all up in my business, no matter what I'm doing. Tilling, planting, mulching, using power tools, painting, having a party...they want to know. My RIR's are especially curious, and my Spithauben thinks he is the foreman of all jobs. And when word gets out that there is something to eat, everyone is underfoot. Most of my chickens aren't so into worms though, but the ducks will come running when I yell "Worms! Who wants worms?!"

I must say though that they were not so interested in my snow shoveling endeavors, preferring to stay in their coop or under their big table that served as a temporary porch for the storm. I got about 16" here and can't wait until spring.

5. eastbaychicks

eastbaychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Livermore
    So funny... when my DH mows the lawn they follow him! It's so funny, I'm not sure what they see, but they love it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by