Chickens having trouble breathing

WillGriffin03

Chirping
Nov 5, 2016
Macedon Ranges
A few of my chickens have fallen ill with a mystery illness that I could hope you all could help me solve it.

Diagnosis:

I diagnosed these chickens 2 days ago and have been using a sort of medication to help them, I don't know the name as I was recommended the medicine.

Action:

The medication was started being used yesterday and I have been putting it in their water and one seems to look okay but i'm not moving for at least another week. It's middle of autumn and very cold nights here, I know another couple people who have the same disease could it be 'going around'?

Possible Reasons:

I have introduced a new member to the flock but never ever even put her in the cage so they couldn't of caught it from her, could they? I have placed the cage the sick chickens in around 20 metres from the main cage but they do free range. As I said it could be a sort of cold, coccidiosis? That's what the cashier said at the produce store.

Please help as if coccidiosis they could die!

Thanks in advance

William

A few of my chickens have fallen ill with a mystery illness that I could hope you all could help me solve it.

Diagnosis:

I diagnosed these chickens 2 days ago and have been using a sort of medication to help them, I don't know the name as I was recommended the medicine.

Action:

The medication was started being used yesterday and I have been putting it in their water and one seems to look okay but i'm not moving for at least another week. It's middle of autumn and very cold nights here, I know another couple people who have the same disease could it be 'going around'?

Possible Reasons:

I have introduced a new member to the flock but never ever even put her in the cage so they couldn't of caught it from her, could they? I have placed the cage the sick chickens in around 20 metres from the main cage but they do free range. As I said it could be a sort of cold, coccidiosis? That's what the cashier said at the produce store.

Please help as if coccidiosis they could die!

Thanks in advance

William
Can you describe their symptoms?
What is the "sort of medication"? Does it have a label?

Cocci and respiratory disease are two separate things - while a birds can have both at the same time, hopefully we can distinguish the two.

Respiratory disease includes coughing, sneezing, mucous from the nostrils, watery/foamy eyes, facial swelling, difficulty breathing, going off feed and lethargy. Antibiotics can be helpful treating any secondary infections associated with illness.

Coccidiosis symptoms include diarrhea with mucous or blood, loss of balance, lethargy, going off feed and having a puffed up appearance. Cocci is treated with a Coccidiostat (not an antibiotic) like Corid (Amprol/Amprolium) or Sulfa drugs (Sulmet/Sulfadimethoxine).

If you have a vet that can assist you with testing a fecal sample or seeing one of your birds that would best, this would insure that you are getting the right medications and course of treatment.

Last edited:
Can you describe their symptoms?
What is the "sort of  medication"?  Does it have a label?

Cocci and respiratory disease are two separate things - while a birds can have both at the same time, hopefully we can distinguish the two.

Respiratory disease includes coughing, sneezing, mucous from the nostrils, watery/foamy eyes, facial swelling, difficulty breathing, going off feed and lethargy.  Antibiotics can be helpful treating any secondary infections associated with illness.

Coccidiosis  symptoms include diarrhea with mucous or blood, loss of balance, lethargy, going off feed and having a puffed up appearance.  Cocci is treated with a Coccidiostat (not an antibiotic) like Corid (Amprol/Amprolium)  or Sulfa drugs (Sulmet/Sulfadimethoxine).

If you have a vet that can assist you with testing a fecal sample or seeing one of your birds that would best, this would insure that you are getting the right medications and course of treatment.

The chickens that are sick are looking quite lethargic and puffed up but one is like sort of croaking? I don't know if that's the same disease or different one.

Thanks for replying

Quote: If you can take a fecal sample to your vet for testing of Cocci and worms that would be a good idea.

Lethargy and puffing up - if they were mine I would treat for Cocci. Croaking sounds - could be respiratory, but also complications of crop issues. Check the crop the see if it's emptying overnight - crop issues are usually a symptom of an underlying condition like Cocci, worms or reproductive disorders.

Back
Top Bottom