Chickens heads ripped off in the night ? What did this 2 just gone , in closed coop all around & top

GOSH THAT IS SOOO HORRIBLE, geezzz i would be sooo horrified my self ,I wish i had more to tell you ,but i am an old dog breeder as we as an old farmer, do you have a good dog that could patrol your yard...after all your chickens are in for the night...?? I raised English Mastiffs for 30 years along with all my farm animals horses pigs cattle & the mastiffs were great with all my small kids & baby animals, baby ducks bunnies & chicks baby geese baby goats kittens & all, & all were out in my yard loose every day with my 15 English mastiffs, we had no fences or gates noting at all to keep them all in, but just my mastiffs...! we live at the edge of a giant 2000 acre forest , with one barn all the farm animals were locked in at night, we even had some mountain lions& bears around at night, but the Mastiffs kept every one safe and all in our yard ,no one left, all were kept in good order by my giant girls and also including my 2 year old son the last of 5, who did make an attempt to go out the drive way one summer afternoon , if it was not for his constant companion my oldest giant girl ELSA who was always by his side, so as he ran towards the open front drive ELSA stopped him & soon delivered him up to our front door by way of the back of his pants.....lol.. wish i had pictures of that.....lol.. but like any of my animals could have just walked on down the road, but not one did.,we never lost any, so if i needed a good dog right now...? which i feel is the best way to safe guard our farm animals i guess because of my past , if i was asked what a good breed of dog is, smaller then a giant mastiff.....lol... my pick would be a female Boarder Collie , all my mastiffs were girls ,the girls are the best & most dependable , hands down to the male dogs who seem to sleep all the time and leave all the work up to the ladies...! that goes for any breed of dog, the girls are best...! but right now if i needed a good dependable dog i would look for a good temperament tested stable female Boarder Collie .!!! we have one tiny hairless dog right now called a XOLO a breed from Mexico....lol... she is way to tiny to protect our yard.....lol... but i believe that a good dog is the best deterrent & a good way to keep all our babies safe , it could even be the smell of a dog around that helps to keep the wild animals away...?? so sorry this was long , but i wish you all the best and hope all your peeps remain safe from now on...! kind regards & take care Dianna
thumbsup.gif

Were you able to find any tuft of hair, the predators may have left behind, that might identify them?

What a horrible, horrible thing to have happen. I hope you will be lucky getting the perps, they will be back since they were successful. Please let us know - we would like to celebrate victory with you.

chicken wire is useless for raccoons and Fox. It is used to keep chickens in but it won't stop larger animals from tearing a hole in it.Be sure all small openings are closed off. I use 1/2[ hardware cloth. you could try a live trap large enough to trap a fox, if you think that is what it is. You have a lot of great advice from above.

Yes the gate is chain link as well with chicken wire. My cell is full & want take a picture & I dont have a I- pad that takes pictures yet. I am going to set outside tonight & wait on whatever it is to come back. I have new kid goats too & 8 small drags & 3 cats, don't want to lose any of them! One of my dogs killed a baby oposam & people behind me has seen a red moma fox. Thank you for everyone's help! I will tend to the problem & make sure all is tightly sealed & safe then get some more feathered babies. I am really going to miss pretty boy waking me in the morning & all my girls & yes they all had names! The 4 I have left are afraid they seem to want me to stay in coop area with them , they start fussing as I walk out!!!
Hi Tonya! I hope things are calming down out your way now. Have you been able to take any pics of your coop/run setup for us? Just checkin' in!!
caf.gif

today after remembering my old chicken raising days, i have heard of this kind of kill, at other farms back in the late 1960's and I would say with the hens back end ripped open that was indeed some kind of vermin possibly a coon...? mink, fisher cats ...??or others, that have gotten into your coop, & the roo was just going after the blood like all chickens would...?? but also as I said before a good dog might be of help...?just let the dog out after you lock up your hens, or even a small herd of little dogs all depending on temperament and what the breed was bread for...? would be good
wink.png
smile.png
some good small ratter dogs could cover more area then one dog can ......lol.... I hope all is well at your place now, take care kind regards Dianna
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom