Chickens huddle on floor instead of roosting bars - why? (Pic included)

chickendad1228

In the Brooder
May 10, 2021
Hello all,

My girls are about 8-10 weeks old (we integrated some younger with some older) and have been in their coop for nearly a month. When I try to put them on the roosting bars at night they get all whiny and do their "I'm not happy with you" chirp and then just jump back down and huddle in the corner. 6 of them seem to sleep on the roosts, the other 10 refuse to. There is plenty of space. Will the other birds eventually learn from the girls that sleep on the roosting bars? Or do I need to keep making them angry and putting them on the bars at night?

Thanks in advance for your help!
20210510_210322.jpg

Since some have it figured out, the others should learn from them.

Sleeping on the floor will not hurt them, as long as the floor is clean, and as long as they are not getting pooped by the ones who sleep on the roosts.

I see that the floor is clean, and they are not under the roosts, so I would just leave them to figure it out on their own.

Since some have it figured out, the others should learn from them.

Sleeping on the floor will not hurt them, as long as the floor is clean, and as long as they are not getting pooped by the ones who sleep on the roosts.

I see that the floor is clean, and they are not under the roosts, so I would just leave them to figure it out on their own.
Thank you! When you say "clean," is it OK if we plan to use the deep litter method? The litter is still pretty fresh all around. Thank you for the advice!
Could they be huddling for warmth, maybe? I bet eventually they'll be battling for the roosting bars :)
Possible, but it has been decently warm. Am I making the poor girls cold by having them in the coop? I thought once they had real feathers on their head it was okay to transition them to the coop.

they are just a bit cold but they are big enough to be out - as long as they are huddled. A group of huddled chickens will be a lot warmer than a single chicken on the roost. Any that are on there are not too bothered about the cold so it won't take long for all of them to adjust to the colder temps. Don't force them onto the roosts. Chickens love roosts so once the desire to roost outweighs the need to huddle then they will all be on the roost. It won;t take long.

they are just a bit cold but they are big enough to be out - as long as they are huddled. A group of huddled chickens will be a lot warmer than a single chicken on the roost. Any that are on there are not too bothered about the cold so it won't take long for all of them to adjust to the colder temps. Don't force them onto the roosts. Chickens love roosts so once the desire to roost outweighs the need to huddle then they will all be on the roost. It won;t take long.

That's perfectly normal for that age. They'll roost when they're ready to. :)
Thank you both. Seems I was concerned about nothing. Appreciate everyone's responses. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom