chickens in Altamont

tobystevensonjr

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2015
Altamont, Il.
Hello, I'm Toby and I have 10 new red sex link chicks. I've had them for 8 days and have decided to raise them with out chemicals. I made my own 21% chick feed and dont use any medicated water. I'm really curious how they look.

Last edited:
Hi :welcome Toby

Glad you could join the flock! I think your chicks look adorable and very happy. I too started my chicken adventures with red sex links or warrens as they are called here on the UK. They were great egg layers and friendly birds. I'm sure yours will produce you lots of fresh eggs.

Wishing you the very best of luck of luck with your chicks in the future. Be sure to ask any questions that you may have everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. I've raised Red Sex Links for years, and they are laying machines. You should get loads of eggs from those 10 girls. Just be sure with your homemade feed that all of their nutritional needs are being met. Commercial feeds are specially formulated to meet all of a chickens nutritional needs, but homemade feeds often fall short in this regard and while the chicken owner may save money on feed in the short term, he (or she) often ends up paying a bigger price in the long term with poor health and poor egg production with their birds. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. I've raised Red Sex Links for years, and they are laying machines. You should get loads of eggs from those 10 girls. Just be sure with your homemade feed that all of their nutritional needs are being met. Commercial feeds are specially formulated to meet all of a chickens nutritional needs, but homemade feeds often fall short in this regard and while the chicken owner may save money on feed in the short term, he (or she) often ends up paying a bigger price in the long term with poor health and poor egg production with their birds. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.
The mix I use is the following.
100 lb mix-21%
30 lbs ground corn
30 lbs soybean meal
12 lbs ground wheat
12 lbs ground oats
12 lbs ground Milo
1/2 lb salt
1 1/2 lbs calcium
2 lbs bone meal
I use this mix to raise my Cornish cross meat chickens. Its a well rounded mix and they really go after it.

The mix I use is the following.
100 lb mix-21%
30 lbs ground corn
30 lbs soybean meal
12 lbs ground wheat
12 lbs ground oats
12 lbs ground Milo
1/2 lb salt
1 1/2 lbs calcium
2 lbs bone meal
I use this mix to raise my Cornish cross meat chickens. Its a well rounded mix and they really go after it.

In your case, it looks like you've done your homework (which so often isn't the case with homemade feeds). :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom